Mexican haube

Robert

Hello all,

does anybody know the background of the mexican helmet? Other than the plate, it resembles an M91 style helmet. Was it perhaps a commissioned production?

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/mh230.htm

mh230b.jpg

Hi Robert:

I always assumed it was standard Mexican Army Government Issue.

I photographed this example at Collector's Firearms in December 2003.

mexpick.jpg

I believe the seller is referring to the1910 Revolution led by Francisco Madera, which ousted Dictator Porfirio Díaz. Imperial Germany had strong ties with Mexico and lobbied for her to join the Central Powers as an ally against the U.S. Given the conflict between the U.S. and Mexico in 1916, one wonders why this never materialized.

Chas.

Hi. It's my understanding that these were made in Germany, and used by officers of the Mexican army in 1910. I don't think there are any enlisted examples, just officer's. I don't know if they were government purchased or by individuals, but they bring a hefty price.

I found that they were part of the 1905 regulations; purchased their own uniforms.

The first below is the helmet of Diaz himself. I read some time ago about a not further defined small part of the mexican army that had bonds to the USA (maybe recruited from immigrants?). And then of course, there are the various parties that were supported by the USA later on at one time or another. It would be a tempting and maybe too logical conlcusion that..

casco.gif

kosterlitzky01.jpg

Companeros,
You can see some of these helemts in the Chaputepec Museum in Mexico City. Very interesting helms

Francisco gonzalez

Back