Mikey's thoughts about values

joerookery

How do you guy's see the prices and values of Pickelhaubes and Militaria in general at the moment? My impression is that prices are still fairly high and even increasing more than a little? But since the great British pound went 'tit's up' it is a bit hard to judge? Does 'ebay' give a fair impression of the market?

I stole this from another thread. From what I am seeing prices are coming down. The movement is slow and sporadic and does not always make sense. It is what economists call sticky prices with some of the high-end stuff sticking to old or higher prices.This is a really interesting topic though, and the manifestation I have seen is that some older collectors are liquidating. Each of those of course wants top dollar, but there does seem to be a lot of sellers and not as many buyers. The Europeans seem to have slowed a bit, if not quite a bit. I do not think that eBay gives an accurate picture. Those prices tend to be all over and quality is often reduced. However, the number of e-mails I get about this collector or that collector selling something has definitely increased.

Hey Joe,
I agree with you about ebay, it is quickly becoming a venue that has little value to etermine price, the prices are either very low, or very high. I think a lot has to do with the number of uneducated bidders using ebay. There are a lot of people who see a spiked helmet advertized for several thousand dollars, and they think that they are all worth that much (especially if they are selling)
The New World has a bit of an advantage over the Old World with the change in currency values at present, and that is changing the dynamics of the market.
It is about time for the "investors" to start selling their items, and that could have a negative impact on prices for anyone wanting to sell (but a great advantage for anyone buying)
Bes twihse
Gsu

I guess ebay does kind of reflect extremes sometimes.... look at this one for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190279168069&category=79243&_trksid=p3907.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

I'm a bit out of the loop but I'd imagine that this is worth around €300-€350...... end of story, as it's incomplete and it's the most common type. But there's eight days and eight hours to go on it yet and it's already past the €300 mark.

And when you think that things are usually a bit sluggish after Christmas???

I wonder whether there will be a craze in 2014 with the anniversary. I just sold two helmets - maybe now is actually the time you should start buying. In case the prices do fall in 2009 they are likely to rise again soon after.

I think that one should only buy a helmet if it is something that will give them pleasure to own and they can afford to spend the money on it. I tend to agree with Robert, though, if there is something you want to add to the collection, this would be a good time, as prices should soften with the coming depression, and hopefully, we may see the end of the depression by 2018.
Best wishes
Gus

I was expecting this helmet to be a 58 or 59, but it is a small 55½, maybe it is time to sell, but I would have to leave my helmets out in the barn for a few years to get this type of condition, and by the time they had the correct patina, the boom will be passed.
Gus

Back