mine is bigger

joerookery

This Bavarian shows that you can buy anything private purchase. A really really big stenciled six.
big6.jpg

from the article at http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Uberzug.htm

It certainly is a good fit for an issue uberzug. The size of this number raises the whole question of why the Germans put Regt numbers on these covers. I know that the obvious is quick identification but one would think that they would have realized that it also provided instant ID for the enemy . It would be very interesting to read some contemporary source recommending the use of these numbers so that we could know their rationale. Brian

Why do you say private-purchase?
Because it looked like a good fit to me!! I would be glad to admit I'm wrong. I have two pictures of this guy. At first I thought they were two different pictures -- -- but then I looked and the iron Cross certainly looks like a pasty. So school me it fits well and I cannot see any evidence of hooks but perhaps it is issue?? :( I do not have a dog in the fight but I would invite any comments on the Uberzug or the "photography".
big6_1.jpg

big%206_2.jpg

OK Joe...now that "all has been revealed unto us" we know that we are looking at an officer. Or is he an officer?? The photographers' work on the boards in the first pic make them look like officers but then in the second shot ORs To me this guy is some form of officer but I will let our uniform experts confirm this. So yea to me, a private purchase "zug". Great pic and I have never seen this pasting in of ribbon and decoration before. B

The photo Joe posted on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 pm has been hand-touched to add Lt. shoulder boards and an EK. The bottom photo is the actual photo. There is no EK, but he has a private-purchase Feldrock of an Unteroffizier. You can clearly see the Korps farbe (color) on the edges and the cloth cypher of Kgl. Bayer. 6. Infanterie-Regt. Kaiser Wilhelm, König von Preußen (Amberg) III Bayer. Armee Korps. So he must have received his commission during the war and had the photo altered to show his new rank and the award of the EK both 1st and the ribbon of the 2nd. But, they left his NCO lace on the collar! Very Cool.......but sad, no new photo means he was probably killed and the family had the photos altered. The Überzug does not have the fold-over pocket on the visor that is standard for a private purchase. It does hang straight down like an issued cover. If I squint reeeealy hard I think (?) I can see stitch marks of hooks. Joe, there are a great set of photos. Congrats.

I agree with all that Tony has written, but the photographer did make an attempt to paint out the NCO litzen. Take another look at the photographs. Also, the buttons have been retouched in the Leutnant version.

The subject most likely received a field commission, and did not live long enough for an official photograph to be taken.

Chas.

Very cool pics Joe of a type never seen here before. Thank You for showing us. Very clear also, you can see many fine details, even the lions on the buttons. I was of the opinion that the uberzug fit very nicely and was probably private purchase, but looking at the photo I can see what does look like the stitching for the hooks in the center and to the wearers right.

Geo

Back