Minenwerfer

Lost Skeleton

I know Tony will recall this group from its appearance on eBay a few years ago. It was analyzed in depth in the original forum. Did anyone save the eBay pictures or description? I would love to know what it sold for then; the new price is staggering:

http://www.derrittmeister.com/productpages/04460.htm

I can recall being "baffled" then by a pristine owner's label in a sweat stained Schirmmütze. Another caveat emptor?

Chas.

(groan) has that thing surfaced again? #-o Fortunately, its consignment so Ken G. did not buy it to sell.

When it first came on eBay I think (?) it sold for around $5K but I cannot recall exactly. I call it the "Hitler's Diary" or "Burial Box of James the Brother of Jesus" syndrome, (please pick one) where something surfaces that is just so outrageous, people are blinded by what it purported to be, rather than what it is if it is looked at objectively.

By stepping back and actually looking at the group, I see a Preußen Train officer Pickelhaube, with a Pioneer (or Artillery etc) Schirmmütze, both with two different patterns of Totenkopf.

As far as I am aware, only one new unit in the great war was awarded the honour of wearing a Totenkopf, and that was the flame thrower unit of the Garde-Reserve Pionier-Bataillon (Flammenwerfer). It was awarded the honor of wearing the Death's Head (Totenkopf) on their sleeve by decree of the Kaiser in 1916.

The Totenkopf on the chicken, does not even look like the Imperial IR92 version, rather it looks like the type worn by the Third Reich 17 Inf regt and 41st Cavalry regt. The one on the Schirmmütze is a fake that surfaces all the time on ebay. The shoulder boards are Pioneer and huge and so-convenient labels in three sizes in a identical font which are not worth commentary. :sign11:

So you have some guy wearing a Train Pickelhaube, with an Artillery/Pionier Schirmütze, both with unauthorized tradition Totenkopf, wearing Pioneer boards, and his is blind and has to have HUGE labels in everything to remind him which unit he is with? Head injury huh?

A clumsy fellow too, he spilled tea inside his cap..........

(groan) has that thing surfaced again?
This thing has been around for a while. I know the original buyer and once he had doubts he sold it to a very well known dealer. I don't think it was publically offered and would love to know where it came from.

I think Glenn ran the original name and came up with no such person. There was no such unit if I am correct and small thing but Mortar units were pioneer outfits....silver helmets. $17,995.

A clumsy fellow too, he spilled tea inside his cap..........
At least it wasn't beer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I was sold...was just about to buy it. :lol:

Until Tony mentioned Tea in the hat.

I don't like tea that much.

However Joe says it might be beer... :twisted:

Now it's caught my attention again...

I agree that MW were drawn from Pioneers .the obvious copied labels and how one avoided the tea .Gets me moe .I am only learning unit differences between the headress .
How and Why do Long time collector's seem to buy these sets or items and buy them.?
Mark

people are blinded by what it purported to be, rather than what it is if it is looked at objectively.

Mark I think T hit it on the head. The original buyer was a long time collector.
The lessons are that you have to piece all aspects together to have a good picture and not be "rushed to failure." I have bought a piece of crud in that frenzy.
The other lesson is many sets of eyes. I see things you do not see and you see things I do not see. All of us make mistakes. :p

Tony,

There was at least a prototype of a Haube with a skull on it for officers of the Flammenwerfer detachment of the 5.(Rohr) Sturm Bataillon. Klietmann had a Probe piece in his collection and it was sold with the rest of his collection some time after his death. There has been at least one published article about it. It is doubtful if it ever got past the Probe stage.

Chip

Chip, I would love to see that article if you can find it. I am going to assume that it was on a Garde Pionier helmet and not Train yes?

The most obvious discrepancy for me is...convex scales on a supposed MW officer helme ???? This just does not compute!!!! B

Tony,

Of course, it was a skull and bones on a Garde Pionier helmet. I have been trying to remember what publication it was in. I thought it was an old issue of Nimmergut's "Orden & Militaria Journal". Klietmann did many articles for this publication. I know I have it somewhere. Let me root around a little more to see if I can come up with it.

Chip

Back