Mini-Wappen attached to Prussian Wappen?

SgtFury

Another learner question here ... I just (almost by accident) noticed on the Wappen of an otherwise unremarkable Prussian officer pointy of mine a small, what I will call a 'mini-Wappen', attached to the main Wappen much in the location one usually finds Reservist crosses. Can anyone tell me what this indicates?
Cheers, Joe

The small eagle wappen attached to the large eagle usually indicates that the helmet is a Beamten helmet. The thing that confuses me is that usually the small eagle would be in silver or vice versa. I would give you more info but i have all my books packed up getting ready to move.

WP rightly points out that normally, the miniature Wappen was in the contrasting colour to the main plate. Having just looked through the 1908 dress regulations of the officials of the Prussian Military Administration, I could find no instance where the regulations prescribed both the main plate and miniature in the same colour.

Regards
Glenn

This may be interesting or not but could both the big and a small eagle be of the same material if it would have had a reserve cross?

found this example that seems to have both silver big and small eagles with a gold reserve.

http://www.ageofkingsmilitaria.com/Sell_4_Link2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The regulations are not terribly clear (to me anyway) :? I have reproduced the German text as punctuated in the original:

Am Helmzierat ist das Landwehrkreuz anzubringen:

a) bei den Beamten der Reserve unmittelbar unter dem F.R.; auf dem Landwehrkreuz das Beamtenabzeichen - kleiner Wappenschild - in abweichender Farbe,

b) ben den Beamten der Landwehr vor der Mitte des Helmadlers.

I am unsure if this means that the Landwehr Cross was in the opposite colour to the miniature Wappen or to the main plate. :? :?

Glenn

Thanks for all your comments! And you are correct in that all the photos I have found of the 'mini-Wappen' have been in contrasting
metal finish to the main Wappen (i.e., silver or darkened). That is, no doubt, why I noticed it by accident on close examination. As
usual, I think we live in a world of variations.

OK ... Sorry ... But on close examination the little Wappen is silver finished ... the sameness of tarnish to the standard
and little superimposed Wappen made the slight variation easy to overlook.

Please send a photo of the entire helmet. From the photo you posted, it looks like a standard Prussian Officer ( round spike base, round spike base, and gold trim) style with rounded chin scales. If so then it is a Medical Officer helmet. Look for name or markings in helmet.

Back