Minidoka Concentration Camp

Gustaf

Staff member
Hi All,
Otto writes often about the Minidoka concentration camp, if any one is interested try this lick.

http://www.nps.gov/miin/home.htm

This is a bit of interesting history for anyone interested in how things were on the home front for people of Japanese decent who lived in the western United States. Life was very bleak for these people, after the war there was still a lot of hatred for anything Japanese, but nearly all of the people, who had their property taken from them, were prosperous citizens within a few years of wars end.
Best wihses
Gus

The jokes that I do with Gus regarding the concentration camp of Minidoka, it is a way to do that the history of the so many people's suffering, of so many races, and in so many countries, it doesn't fall in the forgetfulness. Right here in Brazil, during the war, they existed Concentration Camps for Germans, Japanese and his descendants. Lives were destroyed, families were separate and years of work were wasted. They are the madness of the wars, of all the wars, where the politics, bussiness men and bankers are seated in protected places, looking at the soldiers' suffering and of his families, and for the defenseless civilian, while they thing they are semi gods.
Otto

PS. Well done Gsu!

Otto,
These things happen in nearly every country at time of war. We have actually gone too far the other way now. To make the airplanes safer, the security people will search people randomly, all the terrorists of 9-11 fit a unique profile of personality, but it is not allowed to "profile" people in this country now as it is discrimination. It is very common for elderly women and infants to be searched before boarding a flight. One of the most know US senators was banned from flying (brother of JFK) because his name was similar to a suspected terrorist, a 18 month old child was also banned from flying because his name was on the list.
Best wishes
Gus

Any brother of JFK should be searched and prodded. I loved JFK but his last living brother is a discrace to the USA. Drive drunk, crash your car, leave your girlfriend (while married) to drown, and continue to act like you are superior to everyone else? He is sick.

Just my opinion.

Paul

Paul, that is starting to get political, and how is Teddy any worse than John, well OK there was that Chapaquittic thing, but John was no saint. he even lost his vessel in the war due to poor leadership, but was given a medal because his daddy was rich. Now see what you started, where is the moderator.
Gus

Gustaf said:
To make the airplanes safer, the security people will search people randomly,

Hey Gus and Otto, listen to this. On October 22 I boarded a fight in LA and went through US Homeland security. I had five Pickelhauben with me, in my carry-on luggage. My good friend Stephen said there was "no-way" I would get through security when they saw the spikes. I zipped right through. They did not even blink, they were like robots. In Toronto however, I had to go through Air Canada security to fly back to NB and you guessed it, they said "what on earth are you carrying? We have to inspect". I unpacked my bag and ended up with 5 agents asking questions and commenting on them for 10 minutes before they sent me off to catch my flight, Haubes in tow.

Tony, you were lucky, a year or so ago, a Congressional Medal of Honor winner was flying to Washington to meet the president, he was barred from flying because he had a sharp object that he would not surrender, it was his medal of Honor.
Gus
PS start writting your book, be sure to cover the Canadian Army too.

Gustaf said:
Now see what you started, where is the moderator.
Let's not forget, Joseph P. Kennedy was a bootlegger and he engineered the stock market crash of 1929. The sins of the father....

Chas.

Sorry George,
But I must beg to differ, the Japanese people were concentrated in the "relocation"camps, they were arrested and striped of all their property, save what they could carry ia a bag. This is similar to what the nazis did in Europe, but that is where the similarity ends, the Japanese people did not starve, they were not beaten (once they arrived at the camps, some met with violence before hand) but the young men wre expected to serve in the US Army, which most did with honor. You are right to say that the Jap camps can not be compared to the nazi camps, and it should be noted that the Japanese who lived in the eastern states where not confined.
Best wihses
Gus[/b]

Gus,

The "Japanese" put in the camps were either enemy aliens or Americans of Japanese descent. The latter were only those who lived on the West coast and were perceived as being a potential threat to US security. Those put in the camps were given quarters that permitted them to maintain family units. They also had schools, gardens, shops and opportunities for cultural pursuits and diversions. Adults were allowed to leave the camps to work in the local economy.

These camps were not concentration camps but internment camps. The first "concentration camps" were those set up by the English during the Boer War and were intended to deprive the Boers of a haven and to destroy their morale by putting the Boer's women and children behind wire. I do not recall the numbers, but I believe that many thousands died due to exposure and disease.

Although we hear so much about the internment camps for the Japanese, little is heard of the camps for the German and Italian nationals. Once again numbers escape me but we put all enemy nationals behind wire not just the Japanese. The only valid issue to today's bleeding hearts should be that we put American citizens in camps.

The Nazis rounded up people across all of Europe based upon group identity, put them in camps, seperated families, worked them in war industries and then murdered them and in some cases used them in horrific "scientific" experiments. The US internment camps were not concentration camps.

George,
I think we are argueing semantics here. But you are wrong in one point.
The "Japanese" put in the camps were either enemy aliens or Americans of Japanese descent. The latter were only those who lived on the West coast and were perceived as being a potential threat to US security.
All Japanese in the west were intered, men, women and children, I do not think any children born in the US of Italian or German descent were intered, but I could be wrong. It is difficult to understand how an infant in arms could be percieved as a threat to national security. One thing that should be noted about the bahavior of most Japanese in the camps, they were civil and suffered through their internment to prosper when they were released. Only in one camp was ther any violence, that was the camp at Tule Lake California where the incoragables wre sent to be repatriated. My grandmother was one of the hostages taken in the riots. Most of the young men involved were not threat to the US until they were arrested, many rebelled when they were drafted, and refused to serve, I can understand why these boys who had never been to Japan, would deceide to be "repatriated".

Best wishes
Gus

Back