Minor renovation. Straightening of helmet.

Naprawiacz

I was very concerned whether I would be able to straighten it.The previous owner had lubricated the inside with cream to close the pores of the leather.However, the leather did not accept the cream into its structure and I simply washed it with acetone.I then immersed the helmet in cold water for about 30 seconds and started straightening.First straightening by hand,and then I put the helmet on the dummy's head. After 24 hours the helmet had dried and I was able to touch up the polish.

Attachments

• DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC00339.JPG
    DSC00339.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC00342.JPG
    DSC00342.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC00341.JPG
    DSC00341.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC00367.JPG
    DSC00367.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC00372.JPG
    DSC00372.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Wojtek, that is an amazing job (y)
Just 30 seconds socking up cold water and than pulling it back in shape ?...great job
If the leather is in better condition, a water sprayer will suffice.Contrary to appearances, 30 seconds is a very long time, but the condition of the object required it.It is best if the leather is only moistened with water, because the polish may not withstand it.In this pickelhaube the polish was very weak and I had no qualms.Best regards

You took a high risk for the helmet, but the result looks good :)
You are right Sandmann the risk was high but in life nothing is free.I bought the Pickelhaube from Helmut Weitze for half the value.In case a repair should fail I have the original parts.If the helmet is not greased inside there is a good chance that it can be repaired.As the experts say there is always a lack of money for the sweetness of life.Have a nice day.

Back