Model 1860 Prussian Fuβartillerie Kugelhelm

SkipperJohn

This is a Model 1860 Kugelhelm for the Fuβartillerie:

2JyWWGD.jpg

The profile shows that the dome has been slightly caved in. There is also a slight hint that a Kokarde was once placed on the left side of this helmet. I'm not sure what type of Kokarde this could have been, since only one Kokarde (the Prussian one) was used during this period, so I suspect that a previous owner simply placed the Kokarde on the wrong side:

CG2qlsv.jpg

A unique repair was made by the BKA to repair the crushed dome. The leather dome was cut under the cruciform base and leather wedges were sewn in. You can tell by the profile that this was less than 100% effective:

pQfXGz5.jpg

The Kugelhelm sports a 75mm, stamped steel, Kokarde:

AC8sJEc.jpg

It has the standard two brad rear spine:

jEqUNej.jpg

The Wappen is stamped from a heavy gauge brass:

otw8Dkp.jpg

The liner is intact, though quite stiff, and all of the fittings are held on with the "handled nuts" in use at that time. There are some faint markings on the inside of the helmet and on the rear neck guard. Unfortunately they are unreadable:

woWbSHN.jpg

John :)

Nice find on this helmet
An old one in a nice condition what more do one want

Jonas

The photos in the original post have been deleted out of photobucket and replaced with the same photos in picorator.

Stay clear of photobucket :protest:

John :)

pickelhauben said:
Thanks for a lead on a new photo carrier .

Still a nice helmet !!

Thanks. I did this as sort of an experiment. I used to be fairly prolific on this forum so I wanted to see what it would take to make the conversion from photobucket to picorator. The above post took about 40 minutes for me to convert. It was my first try, so maybe over time I can get faster. I know that I will not convert all of my posts, but I may attempt to convert the ones that were most popular.

This forum has become a large part of my life. I open it every morning and every evening, every day. I have spent hours waiting to load photos on photobucket in order to share info or obtain info from other members. I have been collecting since 1965 and I never had the assets for information that this forum provides. I met more educated collectors in the first five minutes after joining this forum than I had in the 50 years proceeding.

It would be a terrible shame to let the likes of photobucket destroy what has been built here.

John

SkipperJohn said:
pickelhauben said:
Thanks for a lead on a new photo carrier .

Still a nice helmet !!

Thanks. I did this as sort of an experiment. I used to be fairly prolific on this forum so I wanted to see what it would take to make the conversion from photobucket to picorator. The above post took about 40 minutes for me to convert. It was my first try, so maybe over time I can get faster. I know that I will not convert all of my posts, but I may attempt to convert the ones that were most popular.

This forum has become a large part of my life. I open it every morning and every evening, every day. I have spent hours waiting to load photos on photobucket in order to share info or obtain info from other members. I have been collecting since 1965 and I never had the assets for information that this forum provides. I met more educated collectors in the first five minutes after joining this forum than I had in the 50 years proceeding.

It would be a terrible shame to let the likes of photobucket destroy what has been built here.

John

Yet another change --- this time to imgur.

John [-o< [-o< [-o<

Nice comparison picture John, that really shows the difference between the two models.

Back