Model 1915 Steel Erzatz

SkipperJohn

I found this helmet several years ago and decided that it needed to be in my collection. I thought it was ugly when I bought it and my opinion has not changed. This helmet is condition III, or worse, and other than a mild cleaning, it remains the same as the day I found it.

nzaDfsx.jpg

There is substantial surface rust on the shell and the spike is rusted to a point where no "gray" remains.

fVbpNx5.jpg

The steel that this helmet is produced from is very thin. It seems that, if hit, this helmet would produce more shrapnel than it would protect from.

nt1k4C1.jpg

The steel also bends fairly easily and can distort the shape of the helmet. This would seem to make the helmet terribly uncomfortable to wear.

SSTFoXY.jpg

The leather is in very poor condition, and when I pick this helmet up I always find "crumbles" of the liner sitting on the shelf beneath where it sat. I have no idea how to stop this degradation.

0cPaYCb.jpg

The issue stamp is unreadable. I can make out "BJA" but that is all. There is a handwritten number or letter on the neck guard which could be either a "4" or an "A".

All-in-all, if I were issued this helmet for use on the front, I would eagerly be searching for a replacement.

John :)

It might be ugly but I still like it, :thumb up: Here's mine,in a bit better state,but still has been used,and messed with..It has a large 3 impressed in the steel behind the wappen,has yours? Maker's stamp seems to be Albert Schaub,Kronfeld (?) LW.

John: The condition of your liner is known as "red rot". I do not know of any cure but perhaps you could ask a museum curator type person. I have read that it is caused by extreme dehydration of the leather, all natural oils are gone and the fibres turn to a red dust. Thus anytime you move the helmet you see dust and flakes.

Back