Model question

my8trax

Oldenburg: I have had this quite a while. I assumed it was model 1891. Figured it was a private purchase, other ranks. Only two holes for wappen. Referencing Kaiserbunker, all the fittings seemed M1891 to me, but the spike only has 2 vent holes: should the spike have more holes for this model? Any other discrepancies you see? Thanks for any info. I haven't been on the site for a while, due to health issues, but glad to be back.

Attachments

• Olden1.jpg
    Olden1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Olden2.jpg
    Olden2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Olden3.jpg
    Olden3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 26
  • Olden4.jpg
    Olden4.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 27
I believe that this is a perfectly legit Oldenburg enlisted private purchase helmet. It has a standard officers liner and an officers rear spine. The rear spine is somewhat unusual. It seems that most enlisted private purchase helmets have the non-vented, smooth, rear spine instead of the officers type. The fittings were up to the purchaser, so this configuration is 100% acceptable. The spike is an earlier model 1867/71 type, but they continued in use for private purchase helmets even into the 1900's. These spikes only had two vent holes.
I am not sure why you say that this is a model 1891. Model 1891 was an issued model that incorporated the new M91 chinstrap mounting lug. That model also included a vented spike that could be opened and closed (not always though), thicker leather than the model 1895, and a non-vented spine. This private purchase helmet could be as early as 1891, but I would guess it's later. It has a Reichskokarde which was not introduced until 1897.
Very nice helmet with a rare Wappen! Congratulations.

John

Thanks for the info John, I should have stated national cockade may not be original to helmet and the Oldenburg is a replica.

An original Reichskokarde should be easy to find. The Oldenburg Kokarde will probably be a different story, and it may cost a penny or two for an original.

John

Back