Modell 1871 Garde Kugelhelm

A

Anonymous

Tony's essay on Pickelhaube evolution inspired me to drag this Vermont barn find (literally, as it had straw and a mouse nest inside) out of the closet for a few photographs. If anyone has a spare set of chinscales, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

PICT0407.jpg

The Garde Adler is fire gilt and appears never to have been cleaned.

PICT0408.jpg

Side view: as mentioned in Tony's essay, the pearlring can be rotated to shut the ventilation holes. Unfortunately, the spike base is quite bent and the kugel is "secured" by wooden dowels.

PICT0409.jpg

The ink stamps from the rear visor: 1. Garde Feldartillerie Regiment

PICT0414.jpg

PICT0412.jpg

PICT0413.jpg

Chas.

epsomgreen said:
Unfortunately, the spike base is quite bent and the kugel is "secured" by wooden dowels.

I love it. :love10: What a great helmet.

I don't quite understand the wooden dowel part? Are the base retainers split brads?

Hi Tony:

The base retainers are split brads. All other retainers are threaded bolts and nuts. The dowel business appears to be a makeshift repair. One half fits into the Kugel top and the remainder drops into the ventilated neck.

I'll take a picture of this and post it soon.

Chas.

An 1874 all ink not pressed stamp! The earliest I had recorded before this was 1888. This is unusual. Quite a deal!

Hi Joe:

I was curious about the introduction of ink stamps. For this particular helmet they are:

1 G. A.
5. B.
I (garniture)
57 (size)

Here are some additional pictures. The first reveals the remains of what appears to be two linen name tags. The nut and washer secure the rear spine. The helmet is not stitched up the back.

PICT0417.jpg

The split brads and liner:

PICT0419.jpg

The Kugel: this arrangement seems more typical of Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop than the Bekleidungs-Instandsetzung.

PICT0421.jpg

The Kugel: this arrangement seems more typical of Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop than the Bekleidungs-Instandsetzung.
Hey Chas, This is an interesting repair, done by someone who did not have the tools of a plumber. It holds the Kugle on with out discolouration of soldering, the big question, was it don by a soldier inthe field, or by the farmer who owned the barn?
Gus

I decided to go one step farther and remove the Wappen. One of the nuts was frozen, but, after a bit of coaxing, decided to cooperate.

PICT0422.jpg

Even though the holes have migrated a bit, my only concern is the foreign object. Lo and behold, it is a feather (now that's what I call evolution). The barn beasties must have had a field day with this Haube.

PICT0424.jpg

Finally, the backside of the Garde Adler. The Stern is attached by wooden shims. It may be time to rethink the Kugel attachment. Perhaps it is legit as it works like a cork in a bottle. Tony, would it be possible to see your 1871 Eisenbahn sans spike?

PICT0427.jpg

Chas.

foreign object. Lo and behold, it is a feather
Hey Chas,
There are several ebay seller that would deduce that this Helm had a feather plume at one time, it must be a general's helmet.
Best wishes
Gus

Back