Modest beginning: Saxon M1915

Carlson

My first Haube, one that most of you probably saw on Peter Whamond's website. I watched it for a while, and when the price dropped, I went for it.

M1915 Saxon, missing chinstrap and kokards, but the condition is very good. What's especially interesting to me is the issue stamp. It is faded, but clearly reads B.A. XII, then a numeral that is very difficult to read. It's either a 10 or a 13, but the 10th Saxon was in the XIX corps, so I'm assuming it's a 13, which would make it the 13th Saxon IR No. 178. I welcome any thoughts on other possibilities!

David

saxonresize3ff.jpg
[/url]

stamp:

[/img]

David: The number after the B.A. XII is most likely the date the helmet was accepted by the clothing depot. Being that this is an M15 helmet the number may well be 18. If the helmet was issued to a specific unit, the numerical designation of the unit within the German Army would be marked, not the order of the regiment within Saxon units. For example the 13th Saxon Infantry Regiment was Infantry Regiment number 178. If the helmet were issued to that regiment it should be marked J.R. 178.
Your helmet is in very nice condition and may have never been issued.
Nice piece.

Reservist1

Thanks for the thought. I was thinking the same thing, that it might be an 18 as in 1918.

What got me thinking that it might be the 13th Saxon Nr. 178 was a stamp that is on Tony's site, under "the issue of issue stamps" . . . where he shows a B.A.XII stamp followed by a 12. He mentiones that the helmet belonged to the 177th infantry (12th Saxon), but in his case, he also mentions (although it isn't shown) that there is another stamp that says "JR 177". So maybe in that case, it's coincidental that the 12 was actually referring to the issue year and it just so happened that it was the 177th (12th Saxon)? There is no other stamp in my helmet, except a maker's stamp in the dome that clearly says 1917 along with some other illegible words.

Still learning . . .

David,

A very nice first helmet in great condition, from my favorite Kingdom as well. Now .... next job is to find the kokaden and a chin strap.

OK Boys, does the laurel and oak leaf rule apply to the M1915 helmet Wappen too? Nice helmet, great start, now say good by to all your spare cash, as you will never have any from now on, there is no cure for this affliction, it is terminal, but then the discription for good health is the slowest lingering death.
Best wihses
Gus

I quite liked this one - nearly went for it too! Nice high skull and good detail on the plate - elegantly shaped spike too. I really prefer the grey stuff for some reason and this is a great way to start. Congrats and welcome to carlson.

I still have two "kokarden" for sale "reichs- and saxon" flat and round model for this helmet.
also a star (not field gray but "gold and silver)

A very nice helmet indeed, much better that the Prussian M15 with red rot liner that I started out with. I would suggest that this could be a "bond" helmet because of the condition that it is in. The wappen has lost a loop probably due to leather shrinkage. The finish on all fittings looks very good and I would suggest in an "unissued" condition. we have no pic of the liner but if it is in matching condition then I think "Bond Heleme" Both Canadian and US govts brought these back and used them as bond prizes. Memebers will notice that on this page we have to scroll sideways in order to read and see everything posted. This is caused by posting pics that are too large. Please be aware of this when you put pics on the site 500X500 is the max. In addition, please crop your pics, we do not need to see excess background. Best regards, Brian

Something else that is interesting in the photo of the rear of the M15 Wappen. This is a feature that I believe (?) is unique to Sachsen Wappen.

Most Wappens from Preußen etc with M95 loops have little flattened "feet" that stick out on each end of the U shaped loop where it is soldered to the back of the Wappen.

On many Sachsen Wappen, however, there are no little feet. It is just a U shaped loop soldered on. Consequently, it is very common to find one or both busted off on a Sachsen Wappen, both pre-war and M15.

Thanks everyone for all the comments and insights!

I've gone back and resized all the photos . . . I'll have to work on cropping later! :roll:

David

Back