More Adrians

Just got thise one in!

A private purchase M15 adrian high quality Belgian officers helmet.

A rather hard to find helmet.
Probably a gendarme helmet because of his black color.
Nearly weight over the 300gr, with a fine leather liner and a "fantasy" chinstrap (very commoun with officers!)
Made of alu by Fonson Brussels.
It seems even named.

All very nice! I like Adrians, but they've always struck me (maybe wrongly) as too thin and 'tinny' to be effective against shrapnel etc. Does anybody know how they compared with the German stahlhelm or the Brodie, in terms of protection afforded?

Patrick

chinstrap said:
Does anybody know how they compared with the German stahlhelm or the Brodie, in terms of protection afforded?

These were lighter steel but were designed for low velocity impacts such as artillery - as opposed to high velocity impacts such as those from bullets. In many ways I think the Adrian is actually a defensive helmet.

The British MkI is also a defensive helmet in this regard. I should also add that not all British helmets should be called "Brodies" as the Brodie was the original helmet that led to the development of the MkI.

A French Infantry M 1915 Ardian with some traces of "high velocity impacts".

cats-3_zps0c017084.jpg

Impressive!
You can clearly tell that the bullet which came in from the upper left side exited from the lower right which means it was shot from higher grounds or... an airplane? :-"
As for the other 2 large impacts on the upper right side; they could be shrapnel 'wounds'...
My CSI assessment :D

The angle of the shot is approximately 15°, so I think the bullet came from a higher place more than from an airplane.

The helmet most probably is a war trophy, and the AH troops fought against French in the mountain area of Italy.

Markgraf said:
The angle of the shot is approximately 15°, so I think the bullet came from a higher place more than from an airplane.

The helmet most probably is a war trophy, and the AH troops fought against French in the mountain area of Italy.
The high angle of the shot could also mean that the wearer had his head tipped forward.

Can't wait to get thise Roumanian example, so I am showing the sellers pic's for the momment!

A rare version, helmet of the austrian Ostmärkische Sturmscharen.

IMG_7085_zpscbbeecdf.jpg

Ostmärkische Sturmscharen was a political paramilitary force founded on December 7, 1930 in Innsbruck, Austria, recruited from the Katholische Jugend (Catholic Youth), later from journeymen and teacher organisations, forming an opposition to the Heimwehr. Kurt Schuschnigg was its "Reichsführer". The Ostmärkische Sturmscharen spread over the entire Austrian territory in 1933, comprising 15,000 members according to their own figures, but never became very popular. In Lower Austria they incorporated the "Lower Austrian Heimwehr" and were supported by the Bauernbund (Austrian Farmers' Federation). The chairman of the Bauernbund Leopold Figl was their "Landesführer". The Ostmärkische Sturmscharen declared themselves a cultural organisation on April 11, 1936, hence the dissolution of all defence forces in October 1936 was for them merely a formality. (wiki)

Does anybody know who posted these photos of this rare Greek M15 and how to get in touch with him?

Thanks,

Mark D.

makedon said:
Hello!
here is a greek Adrian helmet fro my collection. One of the rarest adrians.

Maple Creek said:
Does anybody know who posted these photos of this rare Greek M15 and how to get in touch with him?

Thanks,

Mark D.

makedon said:
Hello!
here is a greek Adrian helmet fro my collection. One of the rarest adrians.
Hey Mark, I can't help you much! All I can say is that I remember a discussion concerning a Greek M15 offered for sale, on a different forum.
Just don't know wich forum it could have been.....I'll try to find it.
cheers
|<ris

Back