My first Pickelhaube

Mike H

I am new here and thanks to Brian for adding me. I have been a collector for many years but not Imperial German. I have fell in love with it -- something you all understand very well.

I have loved the Pickelhauben for many years -- well before I thought I would collect them -- and am astonished at the variety. So this is where I will start, though uniforms and other accessories will no doubt follow. I collect primarily by condition of the piece -- with originality of course always a priority and unmessed with. Rarity is further down the list for now, though my first one is not common.

A Baden Pioniere - the photo is self-explanatory.

Mike

Pickelhaube - Baden Officer Pioniere #20.jpg

Congratulations , you immediately bought a very nice one :thumb up: ,
and welcome to the club.

Well Mike ;
You are off to a great start .
Baden Pioneer Batl 14 Officer
thanks for the photo
Steve McFarland

Welcome again Mike, as I said before, that is a real beauty both outside and inside. The maker, is also well known to us as producing high quality helmets. Please do not hesitate to ask questions here and seek out information, we all love to talk hauben and our membership has the best expertise on the planet!

I would also like to point out the thin chin scale backing......probably the scales are stapled to a cardboard centre strip backed with oilcloth. Older scales are much thicker/heavier stapled to a leather centre strip plus thin leather backing. There was a real desire in the 1890's amongst private purchase helmet buyers to reduce weight. At the same time there appears to have been a corresponding desire by the German govt to reduce height, weight and cost of the pickelhauben.

Well, Brian's comments are just great -- and also his tutorial on uploading and posting photos was very helpful. I will fine tune my postings in the future to make them better.

Mike

Back