My Grandfather - Which Regiment?

A

Anonymous

I have scanned a photo of my grandfather here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Troutman2/Wuerttemberg1918

Its the photo on the left - click to enlarge.

I know that he was in a Wuerttemberg cavalry regiment in 1918. Based on the photo, I'm guessing it was the Ulanen-Regiment Koenig Karl (1. Wuerttemberg) Nr. 19. My reasoning is that the portepee is unique to the 19th, (the other regiments used the more common acorn shape) and the facing colors (sleeves and collar) are to dark to be the yellow, the color used by the other three Wuertt. regiments. Based on the portepee, I also believe he was a senior NCO.

The plain field tunic bothers me, but it was late in the war, and presumably German industry had other things to do than make ulankas.

I invite any comments or suggestions... Thanks!

Take a look at the site of one of the forum member's it will help you in at least finding the uniform type .I do not think he is an Uhlan , but have a loo at the site
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/

Look up the Cavlary section.
Mark

Egerland:

Based on the boots, tunic pattern and cuff, your man was either in the field artillery, train or dragoons. The Faustriemen doesn't help since all of these units used this type of sword strap and tassel (the train actually looks a little different being all leather like the husar regiments), but the sword is definately a Kavalleriedegen, which excludes both the field artillery and train as a candinate. If you are correct about your father being in the Wurttemberg cavalry (and it appears he has a Wurttemberg cockade on his mutze), the only candidate is Dragoner-Regt. Konig (2. Wurttemberg) Nr. 26. His rank is that of a private (dragoner). If the photo is taken in 1918, he is most likely wearing the feldgrau Freidensuniform and the collar and cuff facings, mutze band and all pipings would be in golden yellow. His shoulder straps would be kaliblau (cornflower blue) and there would be a crown over "W" cypher in red on them. DR 26 was garrisoned in Stuttgart and part of the XIII AK, if this helps in identification.

Regards

Dave

Thanks! I wanted to get the unit right for a family history I'm planning.

The dangers of another collection lurk in the background...

Back