My latest treasure

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may recognize where this one came from, I am super excited about it, appears to be unissued, but who knows for sure, nice maker and size stamps, and dated 1916. Just awesome shape.

My second flat top, these things are growing on me!

Sorry for the poor photo's I need to go to Tony's photo school sometime!

James

tg1.jpg

tg2.jpg

tg3.jpg

tg4.jpg

tg5.jpg

Niiiiiiiiiice one James. This nearly came to France but I deliberated for too long and just missed the boat. Ace piece! I think Max has one and that got me interested in flat tops. I'm glad it's gone to a good home. How's that second Lachmann looking now by the way? :D

James,

You beat me to it .... I love it, as the seller say's it needs a good home, I think it has found one. Can you show a pic of the document that went with it please.

Mike-

here is a poor photo of the War Bond flyer that that came with it!

Otto- Ok what is a Chancard?????

Thanks

James

wb2.jpg

Hi James,
It's a French word that signifies Very, very, very lucky guy. It came from the word "chance".
Otto

Funny Otto.....my Scottish relations all use the word "chancer" to describe someone who is a bit of a rascal. This word is not used here in Ontario, Canada where we live.
An excellent tschapka!!! Wow!! This reflects back on a comment of Tony's ie. he never buys helmets that need restoration. This piece was obviously worth the extra bucks for superb condition. I would add also regarding restoration, that there is only so much that can be done. Multiple dents in an old dried up shell, rotten liners, missing parts etc create more head aches than they are worth. Even if you have 10 rear spines in your parts box, there is no guarantee that it will fit your latest ebay helmet project. Take it from me, as I have followed this route and have the M15 and M95 tschapka projects to prove it!! Buy the best you can afford! Brian

b.loree said:
Funny Otto.....my Scottish relations all use the word "chancer" to describe someone who is a bit of a rascal. This word is not used here in Ontario, Canada where we live.

Hi Brian,
I've learned French when I lived in Liège-Belgium (1963-1966), may be a local word, I don't know. But there it means that I said, a very, very, very, lucky guy.
Otto

Very very nice James, congratulations. I have a similar one in the pre-spring 1915 version, just before fittings were painted gray. The mortarboard is removable but metal parts are of brass (from 2nd Garde Ulanen R).
Bruno

Hi James:

Should you ever tire of that Tschapka, please look me up. Will ya, huh, huh, will ya now? Pretty Pleeeeeze!

Congratulations! I'll have to pay closer attention to AoK updates in the future.

Chas.

James, what a superb Tsapka. I now feel certain that the 1915 model Ulan Garde eagles were never mounted with stars. Is there a chance that you could do a full scan of the War Bond flier that we might be able to lift for reference?

Size 60! Does it fit your head?

Let's see a picture.

Chas. :)

You know, that is just a great looking helmet. Notice how on these tops, they almost seem like enamel or perhaps the paint was baked on like a car, but they are tough. But rarely so damn nice. Way to go.

(Now you have two........you are doomed..........)

Thanks guy's it is great to come up with such a nice piece!

Anybody that wnats a high quality scan of the war bond sheet, please PM me with your e-mail adress.

thanks

James

Back