My latest two finds

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked up these two recently.

First is a M15 Prussian Dragoon helmet, have not cleaned it up yet, has some type of Laquer on the base plate. Large Black disc on the inside supporting the spike and base.

Second is a Very Light weight Wurttemberg Artillary Officer helmet made out of black lacquered felt which gives it its light weight, I did my best to show a shot of the felt on the inside. I believe the proper German term for this helmet is "Schwartz lacquierte filz helm". The Wappen is awesome and shows much of the Original Gilding, I need to clean up the rest a bit, another weekend project.

Sorry for the crappy photo's, to cold to go outside and get better shots!

James

dragoon1.jpg

dragoon2.jpg

dragoon3.jpg

dragoon4.jpg

felt2.jpg

felt3.jpg

felt4.jpg

felt5.jpg

felt1.jpg

James; Very nice pick ups please tell me the came from somewhere other than in our beloved Minnesota. Esp like the first helm!!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry

Hmm..Someone has been busy. An M15 Dragoner is one of the last eight helmets I am looking for. Way to go you. :thumbright:

I like the way the visor lacquer shattered a bit from being sewn on. Do you think someone followed that idiotic advice by Eric Johansson to lacquer the parts? I have had luck removing old lacquer as a result of that incredibly stupid "advice". The Württembergisches FAR helmet looks to be a beauty to. Congratulations James.

Very nice James! Congratulations! Of course the Dragoner helmet should be even better with its Perlring spike... try to find one.
Bruno

Excellent James...just a sweet pair of very rare helmets. Nice to see also the use of the Prussian style kokarde (with serrated edge) on the Wurtt Arty officer helme which confirms the "economic" measures taken on these filz officer models. Obviously, it is the colours that count not the style of the kokarde. One other comment for our fellow collectors on the M15 Dragoner.....note the use of large grey tin washers as re enforcements on the wappen loops. We see small washers on the officer screw posts but I have not seen this arrangement on an M15 before. Congrats!! Brian

Thanks for the Kind comments guy's, I am very happy with both!

Need to take my time and clean up the old Laquer that someone put on the Dragoon helmet, then off to the display wall with it!

James

Back