My new French helmet: 1914 cuirassier

Bungo

Hi all,

Just back from a holiday to Paris, where I purchased this 1914 cuirassier helmet. All original, except for the replacement modern tricolour plume.

Posted it home, and it arrived safe and sound.

As a helpful hint, I purchased the stand from Ikea - it's a $25 wooden candlestick, but is perfect for mounting a helmet.

Cheers, Bungo

SAM_2313.jpg

SAM_2316.jpg

SAM_2318.jpg

Nice helmet, but thise is no cuirassier helmet , it is a gendarme a cheval.
cheers
|<ris

..and did you put the helmet in the "French room" ? As I see a white and a red wall; I guess the ceiling must be blue?
(lo!!)
|<

Thanks for the clarification, Stuka F. Mounted gendarme instead of curiassier, I'm still happy.

I wish I had a French room in red, white and blue... ;)

It defenetly is a nice helmet!
So how was Paris?
Did you went at La Strasbourgeoise?
And where did you get the helmet?
|<

stuka f said:
It defenetly is a nice helmet!
So how was Paris?
Did you went at La Strasbourgeoise?
And where did you get the helmet?
|<

Unfortunately I didn't get to the charcoutrie (sp?) there like we had discussed, but I did get to eat a lot of good andouilette sausage - mmmm, intestines!

Paris was great. I was travelling with my wife and our 6 month old daughter. It was a lot tougher traveling with a baby than I had expected, the time difference really played havoc with her sleeping patterns and we had a lot of restless / sleepless nights for all of us... But that aside, Paris is an amazing place, and we spent three weeks staying in a serviced apartment on Rue Mouffetard, which meant lots of wonderful fresh produce to eat!

I visited Le Poilu, lots of amazing stuff there and fairly reasonably priced, but I didn't find anything which really caught my eye. I found the flea markets at Port de Vanves really excellent, and picked up some WW1 French medals there for ridiculously cheap prices - I heartily recommend the flea markets there, much much more affordable than Clignancourt, and a lot more "flea-markety" if that makes sense - not so many expensive antiques, more a rummage sale of fascinating old stuff.

But yes, Clignancourt was where I found my helmet. Such a horrible suburb, such a nasty walk from the Metro station to get past all the louts and touts, but such an incredible range of high-quality antiques and collectables.

Cheers,

Bungo

Back