My new umbrella stand

No doubt it is Marine. I can't seem to find it on my Cartridge Casing Quick List https://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/guide.htm

May I ask just to clarify, is the top opening 30.5 cm across? Because a 30,5 cm SK L/50 Marine should be 122cm tall. If yours is 67cm tall then it has indeed been cut down to make a large umbrella stand or whatever.

VERY interesting item. Congratulations on a great find.

Thanks Tony.
I did check your Cartridge Casing list, and indeed couldn't find it either... .
The inner opening on mine is 31 cm. And 34 cm at the base.
I had some help on a French forum where it was id as a 305mm shell.
But it rather seems to be a complex matter.
According to them they can come in different high. Depending on the range of fire.
And that for the same purpose extra charges could have been added to the shell in order to send the obus on a wider target...
It is very well possible that my shell had been cut down, to serve as a umbrella stand, but then again it is strange that on the inside something had been provided to prevent that stick's or umbrella's would sink to deep into the stand...

Last edited by a moderator:
//According to them they can come in different high. Depending of the range of fire.
And that for the same purpose extra charges could have been added to the shell in order to send the obus on a wider target...//

Well, we don't know if it was for umbrellas, but it has been cut down in my opinion.

Before the Gunners jump in to comment, cartridge casings for all cannon are basically a cap or primer and all 30,5 cm SK L/50 Marine casings are 122cm tall. First the projectile is rammed home in the breech, followed by bag charges. The bags determine the range. One bag, two, three etc. Then goes in the cartridge casing, which not only sets off the bagged charges, but the brass expands in the breech and provides obturation (seals the breech).

Regardless, this is a wonderful piece. I never found a 30.5cm but that was ok, as I focused on cannon fired on the Western Front, and have them all. Great find!

Last edited:
Found this in my search;

Ok, it is a WWII cartridge, but only 38 cm high.....
So could it be they came in different lenght...during both wars...

And pretty sure it was ment to serve as a umbrella stand due to the inside construction.
A container to retain the umbrella's and to catch up the water when wet.
With a support, to bring this up to height. So if it would have been cut, why not cut it up to the lenght they needed....
I know it is all a supposition, nothing sure until we find a similar one...
Here is a pic of the inner construction (the support and the container are in a mixed up position, here!)
RIMG9086 (2).JPG

Back