My WW1 camo helmet

Amybellars

Received a letter from Singapore Post today informing me that the police force has detained my parcel as that ww1 steel helmet is a controlled item listed as arm and explosive and a permit costing $22 for each item is required.

I applied for the licence, a police officer rang and said I need to submit another form for clearance of arms. I hit the roof and asked him for reason why steel helmet is listed as an arm, he said Singapore is a highly regulated country, anything that can be used as a weapon to defend is an arm. I asked him why pots and pans made of the same material can be sold openly. He refused to answer my question.

Got my permit today with condition that I safelock the steel helmet and not to be used in public places.

This is so frustrating.. But good for a laugh.

They let spike helmets in with no problem but steel helmet is a controlled item and must be safe locked and not use in public places. I wonder why they can openly display knifes and choppers for sale and within reach of children.

I told the police officer that steel helmet is never controlled in any part of the world, he said :"I don't care about other parts of the world, this is Singapore a highly regulated country." I gave him a earful for his rudeness and he was nicer after that.

So if you want to come into Singapore, you can stick few choppers on your head but not steel helmet. ](*,) ](*,)

:cry: I wonder how a steel helmet can be an explosive item. The elite police force wears helmets too, do those helmets explode in the midst of their duty?

I had to mail the spikes for British Home Service helmets when flying home from SOS years ago. The American TSA said they could be a weapon. Of course my wife was allowed to bring knitting needles. Dumb rules are still rules unfortunately.

Why would a Government prohibit something that is used to protect an individual and is not an offensive weapon? :-k (not a very secure Government). Although, I believe that the German Army considered the steel helmet as a weapon item and not part of the uniform.

The only reason I can think of is that it could be used in a possible confrontation with police in a protest situation. The head is a vulnerable part of human anatomy, that old helmet provides good protection.

Peter_Suciu said:
I had to mail the spikes for British Home Service helmets when flying home from SOS years ago. The American TSA said they could be a weapon. Of course my wife was allowed to bring knitting needles. Dumb rules are still rules unfortunately.

Capture.PNG

On this one the spike is stuck and cannot be taken off. It still made it through airport security though, but at the gate flight attendants came to me and said they were worried to see this spike in the cabin. The captain did not seem much concerned but he still decided to carry the helmet himself, and the venerable 1860 Garde du Corps made it to destination in the cockpit...

In 2008 I carried seven Pickelhauben stuffed into my carry-on bag. The security staff at the gate in LA and then again in Toronto were fascinated. At one point and had five or six standing around me getting the two-minute Pickelhaube history lesson. Then off I went. Not anymore.

Prior to that in 1991 I flew from New Brunswick to Vancouver Air Canada with a complete Panzerfaust in my carry-on. Deactivated of course...

I would never get away with that now. For good reason though.

But a steel helmet being tagged as a weapon is ridiculous. But as Peter noted, a ridiculous law is unfortunately still a law.

The reason the steel helmet is classified as a weapon is the same reason that there were WMDs found in Iraq before the First Gulf War. In the United States, a gas mask is classified as a defensive weapon, that makes it a weapon of mass destruction because it is used in chemical warfare. It is stupid, but it is a felony to import a gas mask to the USA. I have had a number of "friends" send me gas masks just to see if I would get arrested.

Gus, your friend must have hate you enuf to send you gas masks lol. I think another carton with ten steel helmets which I have mailed back from sos louisville get detained today as my other 3 caartons made it thru but not the box containing the steel helmets.

Back