Mystery helmet

Robert

..at least for me. That is not a prussian line eagle. And it looks like some sort of ersatz helmet.
What uniform is that by the way and who is this soldier? The back reads "Johann Ströher aus Falkenau" in hand writing.

strange_front.jpg

strange_total.jpg

Hey Robert,
This is an Austrian Gendarm, to the best of my knowledge, Glenn could give you his reigon and the date of the photo (I would bet). Judgeing by the full coloured collar, this would be early war or pre war. He has the marksmen lanyard on his left shoulder. Cool photo.
Best wihses
Gus

Austrian Gendarm you say.. it looks like an ersatz helmet and the rifle is a Mosin-Nagant so I held him for a front soldier (except for the unknown uniform).

Thanks for the info, are you aware of any picture of this helmet type?

Hey Robert,
I can not remember, but I think we covered this helmet on one of your later threads, it is a M1902 K.K. Gendarmerie helmet. A photo can be found on page 125 of "The Emperor's New Coat". The reason I came back to this thread was because I thought I could ID the armband, but I could not, I believe it is a typical Gendarm's arm band, but could not ID the II or H on it.
Best wihses
Gus

That is a very cool foto and I have never seen one like it. Any guesses as to what he has hanging from his belt? I am also amazed at the short length of the jacket. It reminds me very much of something that would have been worn in WW2. Note also, that we have flat brass chin scales in combination with a leather chinstrap that goes up inside the the edge of the helmet. That is very unusual. Brian

Hey Brian,
The short length of the tunic is very common on the Austrian uniform, I can not find any refference that shows the pouch, it is not hung from his belt, but from a leather strap over his shoulder much like the cartridge pouches worn by Artillerists and some officers. The inner chin strap is show on page 125 of "The Emperor's new Coat" I have a copy because I swiped it from Joe when we visited a few years back, originally, I just borrowed it, but since I have not returned it, I guess I swiped it. Joe is going to have to come and get it him self. These helmets are discribed in "Good Soldier Scvejk" as he walke to the front when he misses his train.
Best wihses
Gus

This look's similar to dispatch cases and being Gendaerme , would he not be in need of thid type of equipment.
Nice icture.
Mark

Thanks for the enlarged foto Robert. The extra dispatch case(?) at his hip is very clear now. I find the following very interesting, the presence of a pocket watch in a leather holder on the wrist and the 2 rings on his hands. To me, these all indicate someone who is middle class and has some money to spend on himself. None of the 2 rings is worn on the wedding ring finger. All in all, a very exceptional foto. However, God he is so short !! This is one of those pics that backs up the old phrase...." a picture is worth a thousand words". Brian

Back