NCO or trooper helmet from the Garde-Fußartillerie-Regt.

The only things that I see....I thought artillery M 95's did not have slider vents on the rear spine? Are the soldered loops for the garde star original, or has one been repaired/replaced? Other than that..excellent condition!

I agree with Brian, I also thought that artillery did not have slider vents on rear spine! Can somebody clearify what is proper?

Field Artillery and Foot Artillery are completely different.

Then there is the collector delusion that a pre-war helmet somehow miraculously made it through the entire First World War without ever being repaired.

I have a question.. the Garde wappen has screw posts so that will be a M1891 version where the rear spine shd not have the slider vent right? Or am I wrong

So any field artillery could have the vented rear spine and that would be proper or acceptable?
Hi Dick,
Not in my way of thinking, I expect the equipment to be according to spec, unless there is good provenance or a B.I.A. (Bekleidungs-Instandsetzungs-Amt) stamp. Without that it is almost impossible to know whether it is an authentic German repair, or a post-war collector fix.
Regards,
Lars

Last edited:
b.Loree :
With the M95 model, eyelets are placed on the fixing holes of the front plate, and bridges replace the screw-nuts. Troops on foot, receive a sliding vents on the rear spine. For parade, flat scales on the chinstrap. The "mounted" Feld-Artillery therefore keeps the rear rod without ventilation flap, and curved scales but the Artillery zu Fuß takes the ventilation flap for sweating and flat infantry scales.
Here, it is indeed a foot gunner, although being equipped with the M91 field chinstrap (leather).
The unscrewable ball is correct for this regiment of the Guard which carried the Busch in parade.
Frontenac :
Your helmet is in good condition. Cheer. The hull is regulatory, with its "Kammer" marking. That said...a few observations betray a customized hairstyle for a one-year recruit:
---On the M95, the crest has no "troop" Perlring and the fixing rivets are with folding latches. The frontal eagle has bridges, paired with eyelets.

So here, we have an M95 shell (grommets, rear ventilation flap) but:

---The crest (ball) is of the troop 1867 model at Perlring "troop", non-regulatory after 1887 but still used on the Extra-Helm-Eigentum i

---Crest Mscrew-nuts are typically for Extra-Helms.

---The front plate (Guard-Adler), is of the M71-M91 model with its screw-nuts, also used for the Extra-Helm.

---The jugular is also an Eigentum. It is of superior quality, fine leather, shiny patent, and above all 2 non-existent leather loops on the chinstraps provided by the army (regulatory).

Back