Need advice on preserving/restoring German stick grenade

Kjell-Bjarne

Hello All,

I was lucky enough to pick up a stick grenade recently. Overall, it's in excellent shape for its age, but there is some rust on the head. Any advice on how to remove (or contain) the rust without damaging the paint - especially in the area of the markings?

I've thought of trying penetrating oil and 0000 steel wool as recently suggested on the Irish Stahlhelm. Rust inhibitor is an option, but it tends to darken the paint.

The grenade still has its original paint - never been repainted- and I'd hate to bollix it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

K-B

Hi KB:
I would recommend an American product called Evapo Rust. This chemical removes rust while preserving paint. You can check out their web site at www.EVAPO-RUST.com. I was contacted by their CEO and given a free sample a few years back. It worked well on M15 helmet fittings and did not remove the paint.
Regards, Brian

Hey K-B
Please favor us with an image of your treasure, sadly the ones I have no longer have any original paint, and on one I am cautious to remove any rust as there will be nothing left. These used to be fairly affordable, but now they are comanding a very high price for the ones that are not dug examples.
Best wishes
Gus

I am sure this is a great product. Brian gives it a wonderful endorsement, and I know nothing about guns or bombs and have no intention to collect them. However, who thought of this name? I'm sure it works great but EVAPO-RUST? I can see myself sitting there while some guy from product development pitches this product. I am positive that it is the best available, but then the employee reveals the name. I'm sorry but I could not support that name. I about choked on my coffee how about Rust free? How about Rust reducer? Anything but EVAPO-RUST. I know it's not a big thing, but product branding with this would be tough.

Thanks for the help!

Brian, I'll give EvapoRust a try. As to the name, well, I have to agree with Joe: it ranks right up there with Jiffy Squid. But a rose by any other name ... .

Gus, I'll see if I can't take a decent picture for you.

Thanks again, guys.

Skøl!

K-B

Would 'Acme Rust Remover' be a more popular name for this product? Wyle E. Coyote used Acme products for years. They were always relatively effective and the names were totally intuitive. I bet Acme didn't even need a marketing department to think up names for the products.

Hi All,
I would bet that Evapo-rust was not pitched in a board room, my bet is that is was developed in a small shop, that the pitch was to the inventor's wife, and when he asked what he should call a product that makes rust evaporate, his 12 year old daughter said "let's call it Evapo-rust!" This is just speculation. The quality of the name of a product is usually inversely proportional to the effectiveness of the product.

K-B
A photo would be great, but if you can not get one, just send the grenade to me, the last potato masher that came from England was declared as a tin can and wood handle

Best wishes
Gsu

Chip,
Of all the possible explanations offered thus far, that is undoubtedly the "porust." :wink:

Just kidding.
K-B

As moderator, I must warn members that we have gotten off topic, the topic was, when is K-B going to send me his grenade, please declare it as a paper weight as I am not allowed (by my wife) to get any more grenades since the incident on the Canadian boarder a few years ago.
Gus

Gus,
Thanks for getting this thread back on topic! I am looking for a box at this writing for the "tin can and stick" (unless I can persuade my wife to explain her digital camera to me).

You slay me!

K-B

DSC00734.jpg
[/img]

A most excellent example, I am looking forward to finding it in my mail box. My mail man holds her hands over her ears and sings "la la la" when I tell her what is in packages that she brings to me. I would guess that if a person wrote "caution, grenade" there would be less chance of them dropping the package. Several years ago, I sent a "cat in a bag" to a friend across the state (this is a gag gift that vibrates and makes noise when you squeexe it) It was wrapped in such a way that it would start vibrating at the slightes touch, (bear in mind that this was pre 9-11) Word got back to me that the package was dropped by nearly every postal employee that handled it, the post mistress at the recieving office made my friend pick it up at the post office so they could see him jump too.
Best wihses
Gus
PS Let's try to stay on topic

I don't want to know ...

OK guys, get your minds out of the gutter, it was a gunny sack with a fake cat in it (some people would put cats in a sack with a rock and throw them in a river to get rid of them) when it vibrated, the sound of a cat drowning was heard. There was nothing nasty (unless you were a cat)
Best wihses
Gus
now get back on topic

I have 3 shihtzu's - chinese dogs. I bought them a cat in the bag and it drives them crazy. I have to hide it at night so I can get some sleep. Corky

Back