Need Help on Imperial Gorget

greg warren

I love gorgets so I had to bid on this damn thing on ebay, I think it is a imperial german or maybe austrian veterans gorget, the only words on the front are a guys name and kriegerkameradschaft, I paid 400 for it please check out ebay completed auction number 6563145367, it does have the double head eagle, tell me any info possible, did I get screwed?, thanks guys, greg

Greg,

Kriegerkameradschaft indicates a veteran's organization, in this case evidently from the town of Schnarzburg. Don't ask me where Schnarzburg is, but judging by the double-headed eagle, my guess would be Austria.

As to value, it's hard to say. Beauty (and value) is often in the eye of the beholder.

Enjoy your new acquisition!

Skøl!

K-B

Don't ask me where Schnarzburg is, but judging by the double-headed eagle, my guess would be Austria.
Good guess but I actually know one for once! (If it is Schwarzburg) Good thing it isn't lions.
It (they) are Thuringian States
http://www.coljs.com/imperialinfo.htm
Schwarzburg-Sonderhausen.jpg

Schwarzbergrudolstadt%20.jpg

Go to the guys that know, I asked the same question on WAF forum and MCF forum, no answer, always go to the experts, thank you, I would like to know, do you think I over paid? greg

Great if we got this one right is not because I'm an expert. I'm not. In fact, I'm pretty crappy at this heraldry stuff. You should've seen me miss all those easy ones on lions. I have no idea what they're worth. But Schwartzberg was real small.

Principality of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen; Principality of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. -- Furst Gunther Victor --These became one (temporarily) in 1909 until 1918.
G700.jpg
Look at the nose on that dude! I do not believe it is made of wood like Gus's, but it sure is big enough. I know cruel comments...
MCF forum
Where is this? Or do I just have a mental block?

"do you think I over paid? greg"

Hi Greg,
That is a tough question to answer, do you think you over paid? I am guessing that you bid what you thught it was worth, some one else ahd a similar idea. The nice thing about an auction is that you do not have to pay more than you are willing, the bad thing is you have to pay more than any one else will to get it. In my collectin it would have little importance, but in a Gorget collection, it has greater value. If you think you over paid, just wait a while and the price will come up (you may have bought it too early). I think it is cool, but then I am nuts.
Best wihses
Gus

Look at the nose on that dude! I do not believe it is made of wood like Gus's, but it sure is big enough.

Joe,
I bet you'd like to have a nose like that full of nickels. :wink:

(Actually, that's a line from an old W.C. Fields' movie ... .)

Good catch on Schwartzburg. I certainly wouldn't want to live in a place called Schnarzburg!

Cheers,
K-B

Greg- I think you got a very good price, I have seen simialr ones go for $600 and up.

But as someone said earlier, if you are ahppy that is all that counts!

James

thank you very much gentlemen, I tend to like gorgets as there were very few made compared to most war time materials and many have a certain style about them and I would think that this particular one would be rare indeed when you see the size of the state it came from, how many could still be around, again thanks, greg

Back