need help with photo id.. how do i post it?

onebiiigfamily

hello... i need help with an old german uniform, but i don't know how to post it here. "so close and yet so far"! Thanks in advance.. Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,
If you wish, you can e-mail it to me at [email protected] and I will post it for you, or you can post it your self. To post photos, you need to first have them hosted, this can be done with photo bucket or image shack, http://imageshack.us/ I use image shack, so I will run you through on it. open another application of you web browser to the above address, in the upper right hand portion of the screen there will be a grey button that has Browse... in it, click that button and it will open a window to your computer, go to the file where the photo is that you wish to post and double click on the photo, this will close the window anf enter the address of the photo in the field to the left of the Browse... button. down a few lines is a button that says "host it!" and the image will be uploaded to the image shack web site (if it is a large photo it may take a bit of time, and if you have slow service like I do, you may need to down size the photo before you upload it) The next screen you will get will have a number of lines with addresses to the photo, I usually use the last line, labled "direct link to photo", copy that address by highlighting it and Ctrl C, then when you are posting on the Pickelhaubes forum you can past it. be sure to hit enter after your text, then click on the "Img" button once, then paste the address to your photo, then clicl on the "/Img" button (it is the same one, but this means that it is the end of the image). After all this, submit your post and you should have a photo on the site. By the way, copy the address to a file and lable it in case you wish to use it again, you can use the image shack site with out registering, but you will not have an index to your images, but their index is not as good as your own if you save the address with a lable.
I have to appoligize for your first membership being cancled, Margo is really a nice person, but the spammers have really gotten out of hand and sometimes we do lose a new member in the purge, I am glad you made it back.
Best wishes
Gus

I have been told my great grandfather was in the german army and played in the band... we are not certain if he was enlisted or if he was an officer. Merion Bernard Pittroff, born 1861 Danzig (questionable) and died in Paterson New Jersey 1943. I have ZERO information on his parents and/or siblings. Can anything be decided from this photograph? Don't know the date and not sure where it was taken.. pretty sure it was Prussia/Germany. Thanks sooooo much for any and all help!
marionbernhardtpittroffrv2.jpg

Thanks Gus... good instructions.. seems to have worked like a charm.

Stephanie, Can you find a magnifying glass, and look every hard at his should straps. Can you see anything? A number? A cypher?

A much larger photo would help. He was an NCO by the way, an Unteroffizier (Corporal) by the looks of it.

Hi folks.. just trying again with this same photo.. I made it the smaller size because ImageShack shut me down trying to take a larger size.. thought I had to do it that way. I don't see anything on his shoulders; was it decided that this is an Army uniform? I'm guessing the date to be about 1880 or so.. he was born 1861 and came to the US between 1890-92. Hope this size is better.. Thanks for the input.
marionbernhardtpittroffsc3.jpg

Back