need help with steal ersatz haube

charly239

dear friends

a dealer offered me the one . i have only this pics

any red flags there imo it looks repaint

thanks a lot

I only have one metal helm and the form is different than this one. For example, there's no attempt on mine to represent the re-enfocements for the chinstrap lugs. Mine also has distinct concentric lines running around the helmet from the forming process, which seemed to be more of a spin forming, rather than die pressing.
This helmet has what looks like an oiled or saddle soaped liner. This isn't' good for old leather and if it's original, you can almost bet on it deteriorating. I agree it looks repainted.
Like I said, this isn't like the metal helm I have. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable in Ersatz helmets can help here (not just you, but me as well). Until you get the green light from somebody else, I'd say leave it alone. It doesn't give me a good feeling.
Let's see what others have to say.

:D Ron

As Ron writes, the shell is odd. I do not know if it is a rare ersatz variant or a copy but I am inclined to vote for the latter. But for sure the paint is recent, the liner is wrong (I mean not period) and the cockade and chinstrap are (bad) reproductions.

Back