Need Parts for this Bavarian Officer's Pickelhaube

MBaker

Hello:
I need a removable spike for this Bavarian helmet. Thanks!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 26
so this one is not going to be that easy, as the spike on this type is normally not detached. It may be a lot easier to find another Bavarian Spike with cruciform base attached and replace the whole thing.

Either way will keep an eye out for you.

James

I got offered a helmet like it today. It would have cost me €900, but it was complete.
A nice helmet, original, but with a slightly sunken top, just like yours.
And the spike was on it. Visors were on it too..just like the kokarden..

I wonder if it could be one of these helmets? It was offered in the catalogue „M. Neumann, Preisliste No. 29“:
CBAC60E0-825F-49E1-8F70-4F7668D57328.jpeg
(Source: Neumann & Müller - Imperial German Military Catalogues - compiled by Janet & Joe Robinson)

I wonder if it could be one of these helmets? It was offered in the catalogue „M. Neumann, Preisliste No. 29“:
View attachment 26217
(Source: Neumann & Müller - Imperial German Military Catalogues - compiled by Janet & Joe Robinson)
I don't think that I have ever seen this model in person
I have M1915 officers where the spike base removes like the e m
but there is a fitting still there to replace the spike base on
Steve

I have one that is very similar. I can no sign that it ever had a spike. There is just a hole were the spike would affix, There are no threads nor solder, or any other marks that would show it ever had a spike. The carrying case for the helmet has a strap that run across the interior just where the spike would be. It is a war time helmet, fiber body, non reflective surface on body, m'91 chin strap post

Attachments

• bavLside.jpg
    bavLside.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 22
I have one that is very similar. I can no sign that it ever had a spike. There is just a hole were the spike would affix, There are no threads nor solder, or any other marks that would show it ever had a spike. The carrying case for the helmet has a strap that run across the interior just where the spike would be. It is a war time helmet, fiber body, non reflective surface on body, m'91 chin strap post
Maybe the spikes were more of a friction fit edge that just popped in or they simply screwed in using that sharp edge for the threads?

Are the chin straps M 1915 ?
Steve

Are the chin straps M 1915 ?
Steve

Yes, it sure looks like M15 officer chin scales from what I see with my eyes in the excellent photo. He also says there are M91 side posts on the helmet.

I see absolutely no threaded receptacle inside that hole, in order to accept a special threaded removable spike.

This is puzzling. Could that threaded receptacle part have gone missing over the years?

aicusv: That is an excellent condition helmet with beautiful mercury fire gilding on the fittings.

so this one is not going to be that easy, as the spike on this type is normally not detached. It may be a lot easier to find another Bavarian Spike with cruciform base attached and replace the whole thing.

Either way will keep an eye out for you.

James
Thanks. Are you saying this is the kind without the threadable spike? Or just that the threaded part is also missing.Thanks!

View attachment 26217
From this view , is it possible that all of the threads are on the bottom of the spike base
and it screws into the base opening starting at the oval ring on top ??
Steve

Back