Needs Work --- but Not Bad

SkipperJohn

This looks like it has possibilities:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-NCO-1912-PICKELHAUBE-NAMED-AND-UNIT-STAMP-COMPLETE-UNTOUCHED-GERMANY/123071728249?hash=item1ca7a58a79:g:jAkAAOSwwq1azlow

John :)

It does appear to have possibilities - I don't believe the chin strap is the correct one, appears to be flat and too large. Liner leather looks to be "dead" , red rot wide spread.

aicusv said:
It does appear to have possibilities - I don't believe the chin strap is the correct one, appears to be flat and too large. Liner leather looks to be "dead" , red rot wide spread.

I wonder. Scales may be in fact slightly curved, therefore correct... not sure.

Here are a few more pictures of this helmet. Not perfect photos but I will do better when back home.
Chinscales are definitively curved. The liner is fragile but complete. The rear bill is detached and held in place by the spine, but nothing is torn or broken. Only the thread is shot; easily fixed. Cockades are of course authentic and have left prints in the shellac. I am 99.9% convinced that this helmet is in the exact configuration where it was found in WW1, minus the grime and dust. Inside, the shell is in perfect condition, retaining its light brown colour, and there is no evidence that the round metal plate was ever undone (none of these scratches in the paint Brian was alluding to).
I think that we have here a rare example of a totally original Pickelhaube that was never dismantled, played or messed with and this is what I liked (added to fact that part of my family originates form Hagenau (nowadays, Haguenau), the small town in Alsace where DR15 was stationed).
Now comes the dilemna: restore or not restore?... Clean or not clean?..

View attachment 4
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

After collecting spiked helmets for 48 years , I have found enlisted Dragoon helmets
harder to locate than the officers Dragoons . That one is named to a regiment which to me is a big plus .
I at first thought the scale straps to be wrong also but Bruno has a good point .Not a bargain price
but a very rare helmet .How many do we see ? Steve McFarland

Ah! You got it. Congratulations! I'm always in the light cleaning, no restoration camp (unless it's totally messed up!).

:D Ron

I thought it had a lot of potential. Glad you got it.
Congratulations!

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

pm sent to 911car

Back