Neusilber Bavarian Officer

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Another project helmet which has been sent to me for restoration.....Bavarian officer with neusilber fittings. I have already posted photos of the wappen in that section of the forum. Problems: No silk liner but we do have an original to stitch back in. The spike and base are missing, we do have an excellent original replacement but the holes in it do not match up with the ones in the helmet shell. Last, some previous owner for some unknown reason, has applied urethane to the underside of the front visor. I am going to carefully try to use a water based paint stripper to remove this. :censored: The "before photos":
39DCCF2A-B108-45FA-8008-38ECC538DE89_1_201_a.jpeg
The helmet with the replacement spike put on. This spike is very elegant and pointed unlike most Bavarians which are often sort of "stubby". Unfortunately , the holes do not match up! :(
CF8E15ED-C716-4627-9ADE-BCD43CBDFA08_1_201_a.jpeg
You can see the outline of the original spike base in the finish and I am using a modern brass screw post to secure the spike to the helmet. Something to note for collectors....the screw post for this star which secures the "spine arm" is always longer than the rest of the star posts. It has to be because obviously, this "arm" is going over the spine.
EB4BABF4-46E8-437C-94B1-5710DFDF7350_1_201_a.jpeg
The interior is in decent shape but we do have an extra hole in the front of the shell which may or may not indicate that the wappen was an add on. You can see how the shell holes do not match up with the cruciform base. The modern nut and washer are from my brass repro stud.
B0120B4A-8EFD-4869-8D7C-6DB2782D9FCB.jpeg
A surprise awaits us when we pull up the sweat band.....a glued strip of felt which covers the stitch line! I have encountered this added padding before. :( It must be partially removed if the front visor is to be restitched. The front visor has to be taken off in order to deal with the urethane. Isn't this going to be fun??
NOT!!
111E0CBA-6A6A-4851-A7C6-F077B4AA32E9_1_201_a.jpeg
Why would anyone in their right mind do this????? o_O
8AE84800-3700-4940-9637-4D42A94F8467.jpeg
The felt band had to be carefully removed from the stitch line at the front of the helmet shell. I managed not to tear it and once the visor is cleaned and stitched back on, this will be glued back into position. To be continued....

Grateful and excited as always for your amazing work on this ailing pickelhaube, Brian; hope you can get all that ugly urethane glue off the front visor’s underside and we can navigate the issues with getting the base and spike to fit the existing holes in the helmet.

If anyone has an extra base (that may line up better with the existing holes) please let me know!

The project as it is now:
IMG_3690.jpeg
Visor stitched back on, the stitching here was not as fine as we sometimes see on officer helmets which is a bonus for me. (y)
IMG_3694.jpeg
The inside of the visor. I tried using water based paint stripper on the old urathane but this did nothing to solve the problem. My only other choice was to use my Dremel tool and a sanding disc to grind off as much urethane as I could. As can be seen I could not remove it all just the thickest areas. Despite great care, this sanding caused some scuffing to the green leather backing. to cover this up, some green cream shoe polish was applied. I am not thrilled with these results but this was the best that I could do.
IMG_3691.jpeg
The interior felt strip was re glued to the shell after stitching.

Thanks for posting this Brian, seeing what you can do always encourages me to persevere with my own restorations - no mean accomplishment in the winter gloom of the UK !!
Steve

Good to hear Steve, I am facing at least 3.5 months of grey winter weather here as well. A bright sunny day brings the spirits up and makes stitching so much easier!

I honestly don't know how you guys do it!

Folks in the Northern States and Canada have it rough in the winter. That has to be tough...

You are correct Bryan, the best way to survive the winter though, is to get into snow activities like skiing, snow mobile etc. Here are some photos of the helmet as it is now:
IMG_3700.jpeg
The trim was cleaned and put back on.
IMG_3701.jpeg
The stitch line, although not shown here was filled in with black shoe polish. I always do this for two reasons....it seals/protects the cotton thread and last it fills in some of the inevitable chipping of the original shellac caused by the restitch. This helmet is in fact a Bavarian Police officer helmet which is shown by the cruciform base holes punched into the top of the helmet.
IMG_3706.jpeg
A new original liner was stitched back into the helmet.
IMG_3710.jpeg
At the request of the owner, the wappen was cleaned as well as all the other fittings. I can understand /respect the opinions of other collectors who do not clean their helmets..."to each his own". However, my opinion is that they were originally polished and shiny and should be restored to that state providing this does not do any damage. I will reassembling the helmet in a few days and will post the final results.

You are correct Bryan, the best way to survive the winter though, is to get into snow activities like skiing, snow mobile etc. Here are some photos of the helmet as it is now:
View attachment 27518
The trim was cleaned and put back on.
View attachment 27519
The stitch line, although not shown here was filled in with black shoe polish. I always do this for two reasons....it seals/protects the cotton thread and last it fills in some of the inevitable chipping of the original shellac caused by the restitch. This helmet is in fact a Bavarian Police officer helmet which is shown by the cruciform base holes punched into the top of the helmet.
View attachment 27520
A new original liner was stitched back into the helmet.
View attachment 27521
At the request of the owner, the wappen was cleaned as well as all the other fittings. I can understand /respect the opinions of other collectors who do not clean their helmets..."to each his own". However, my opinion is that they were originally polished and shiny and should be restored to that state providing this does not do any damage. I will reassembling the helmet in a few days and will post the final results.
I think that the plate looks super as it did when worn and the helmet was new
Steve

A short update here on progress. The customer has decided to have me put on the neusilber officer spike as seen in the first photos of this post. Before this can be done, I ned to fill in the finish marks caused by the smaller police spike. This will take some time but once complete the helmet will be put back together quickly. I got a bit of a surprise recently when I decided to remove the spike top from the military spike.
IMG_3713.jpeg
This is a new one for me.....they did not bother to nickel plate the top of the spike neck. :rolleyes:

Back