New Kube auction 128

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
just got the latest Kube auction 128 catalog, man there are tons of helmets for sale.

One of the biggest catalogs I have ever got from him.

James

Many of the nicer helmets come from H. Weitze.

Maybe a good way of finding new customers for the leftovers?

I always ask myself if dealers like Weitze get the full hammer price from Kube in the end.

Garde-Ulan

Looking at the online catalog, there are some nice helmets for sure!

I can only speculate that he might possibly get a "volume consigned" discount based on the Euro value amount of his consignments, or possibly some sort of a "professional courtesy" discount being that he is a big dealer, and has probably also been both a big buyer and consignor with Kube over the years as well.

I would be hard pressed to believe that he would be able to sell everything for 0% commission that he consigned to this auction. It is only speculation on my part, and we will probably never know the answer.

Best Regards,

Alan

Hi guys, this is my first post and I thought I would provide some feedback on the Jan Kube auction 128 that I attended in Sugenheim on 5 May. I'm a new collector and just happened to be in Germany on business over that weekend so took the time to attend the auction with a German friend to see if I could pick up a few items. It was also my first auction and what an eye opener for me, particularly as the auction was in German (I only speak English) and it moved very very quick. Luckily I had marked down the items and max price I was interested in and my friend did the rest. I picked up 4 Pickelhaubes, a couple of steins and a Mitre so all in all I had a good day and believe I got good value for money. The biggest shock was the price sold for the 1 G.UI.R Tschapka that went to a phone bidder for 21,525 Euro (including the 23% commission), obviously a very rare piece. It ended up being a fun and interesting day and the pub across the road had great food and beer and also has a number of rooms so you can stay overnight. The auction is highly recommended!!

Cheers, Glen...Australia

Hi Glen,
I have been several times to Sugenheim and I agree it is a very nice place.
I am very surprised by the price fetched by this GUR1 Tschapka, which I had immediately noticed in the catalogue. It was not praised so highly in the description (2+), was not said to have belonged to any famous individual.... Principally, the eagle plate was of the enlisted/OYV style, to which an officer-type center had been added. This may still be legit, as a rare variation for a recently appointed but broke officer (what do you think, Joe?...) but if ready to pay over 20.000 euro for a Tschapka you may want to go for the perfect example. Or maybe we ignore something about that one...
Bruno

I agree with you. If I was going to pay that much I wouldn't wanted to be anything that would have to be explained. I would pass on that one.

There were two guys fighting over it on the phone so I suppose like any auction, if 2 people want it bad enough they will pay whatever it takes.

Cheers Glen.

Mc5051 said:
There were two guys fighting over it on the phone so I suppose like any auction, if 2 people want it bad enough they will pay whatever it takes.

Cheers Glen.

This is of course a logical explanation but I remain surprised: buyers at Kube's auctions (which I have been practicing since 1993) are usually expertly informed and when bids take off like this it is normally for a really exceptional item.
Another GUR1 Tschapka sold for 18.000 euro at the 05/21/2011 auction (los 727). It was Grossherzog Friedrich II's (a la suite of the regiment) personal Tschapka, and in a fantastic condition. J. Kube described it as "... im ubrigen Prachtstuck erstes Ranges in ganz hervorragender Erhaltung! Extrem selten! Im Handel Unikat!" and used the picture for the front cover of the catalogue.
This being said, the one that just sold is nice and I hope the buyer will be happy with his purchase...

Back