New Member and Author of Imperial Germany's 'Iron Regiment"

German IR 169

I am John Rieth, a resident of Arizona, and have recently joined the forum. As described below, I have a deep interest in German Infantry Regiment 169 (Baden Regt #8) and welcome any members identifying items (helmets, badges, pictures, etc) unique to this unit. I also would like to exchange information who may share an interest in this topic.

I am retired from the US Army and have recently published the book, "Imperial Germany’s Iron Regiment of the First World War; War Memories of Service with Infantry Regiment 169; 1914-1918." The 'Iron Regiment' chronicles the journey of German regiment from the very start of the war to its bloody destruction on the eve of the armistice. My personal connection to this story rests with my grandfather, Albert Rieth, who was a hornist in Infantry Regiment 169's (IR 169) 9th Company at the war's onset. Twice wounded, Albert was fortunate enough to survive the war and immigrated to the United States in the mid 1920's, where he prospered and raised a family. I have many fond memories of Albert, who passed away when I was ten. Some years after his death, our family came across a journal that he wrote in 1915 while recovering from his wounds. The journal details his experiences in the early days of the war. In the course of my own military service and deep interest in military history, I conducted extensive research on Infantry Regiment 169, a project that culminated with the 2014 publication of the 'Iron Regiment.' The book is largely focused on first person accounts written by the unit's veterans, and includes Albert's journal in its entirety. A picture of Albert, circa 1912, is attached below.

At one point or another, IR 169 served in every sector of the Western Front. They fought soldiers from France, Britain, India, and at least on one occasion, a French colonial unit from Senegal. Towards the war’s end, they also encountered Kiwi’s from New Zealand as well as American soldiers and marines. Beginning with the Battle of Mulhouse in August 9, IR 169 was in the midst of the war’s brief maneuver phase that continued in through the bloody Battle of the Frontiers. The regiment marched in the Race to the Sea and suffered terrible losses in Flanders, where it fought in the trenches of La Bassee for six months. In 1915, the regiment moved into the then ‘quiet’ trenches of the Somme, only to be in the midst of one of the climatic slaughters of the war when the British launched their disastrous Somme Offensive in July 1916. In 1917, the regiment saw service that ranged from the trenches of the southern Alsace to pitched battles along the Aisne at the Chemin des Dames. In 1918, IR 169 fought in the major Spring Offensives that pushed the Allied lines back towards Paris, and then returned to Flanders and the Somme to face the ensuing Allied counterattacks. Finally, the regiment met its destruction at the hands of United States Marines and Army tanks in the Meuse-Argonne at the very end of the war.

The book, published by the Badgley Publishing Company, went into print in October 2014 and consists of 321 pages, 33 photographs and illustrations and 20 maps. It is available through Amazon and the Badgley website and is in softcover and Kindle formats.

For those interested in additional information, the book’s Webpage link is: http://www.badgleypublishingcompany.com/ImperialGermany.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks in advance for your interest and I look forward to participating in the forum.

I have the book – I thought it was a very fast and good read. There is a small parade plume color assumption early in the book that turns out wrong but this is a very very good account. Welcome to the forum. :thumb up:

ps1047 by joerookery, on Flickr

Another section of decoy artillery. This one surprisingly is being assembled by infantry.

8. Badisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.169
(Lahr, II Bn Vilingen) XIV Armee Korps

ps1524 by joerookery, on Flickr

Feld-Artillerie-Regt. Großherzog (1. Badisches) Nr.14
(Karlsruhe) XIV Armee Korps

Only Field artillery Regiment from Baden that had a parade plume.

Welcome John and congratulations on the publication of your book. I will definitely look into buying a copy as German veterans accounts are very rare.

Back