New Purchase needs some help

Justin

Got this out of a trade deal with another Imperial Collector. Nothing fancy the lighting makes the helmet look worse than it does in person. I was thinking since its missing the front plate and it will always be a put together helmet, it might as well be a better put together helmet. I would try and find a rarer state Saxon or something along those lines to complete it. What do you think? I didnt notice any unit markings to give it away that it was once a Prussian helm (if it was) have to excuse my mess I am getting ready for an auction and my back office is a disaster.

DSC_1898.jpg

DSC_1899.jpg

DSC_1902.jpg

DSC_1900.jpg

DSC_1901.jpg

Hi, Nice find. The distance between the holes may give some clue, not every plate fits on every helmet. It does not look like Saxony to me because the Saxon star usually has narrow mounts. The silver fittings indicate certain units, such as Pioniers.

If you want to complete the helmet then the plate and strap parts should be of matching material. This might be rather difficult to obtain, and of course don't forget the cockades.. Personally I think that concerning the condition going for a Prussian outfit would be a fun project. Silver eagles do turn up from time to time for reasonable prices.

That is Preußen. The outline of the eagle is cleary visible. Saschen or Bayern would have holes much closer together. That is a good thing, as Robert mentioned, your chances of finding a Pionier Wappen are much higher than finding a nickel-silver Wappen from the other Kingdoms.

I like it. That is a little gem. :thumbleft:

No i have yet to really examine the helmet. I buy this stuff put it in the back room for when "I have some free time" sadly the free time is sometimes rarer than the helmets......

Good point on the holes for spacing, something I did not consider looks like its going to be a Prussian pioneer. Hopefully ill find a decent plate at the SOS.

joerookery said:
Hopefully ill find a decent plate at the SOS.
\

Did you want to join the group at SOS? Should I put you on the list?

The cost of admission is cheap, all you have to do is show up and introduce yourself.
Best
Gus

Yea Prussian OR's pioneer helmet missing the wappen. These are usuallly marked PB plus number. Really not a common helmet so if you are collecting these then this is a nice find. Mine was lacking the helmet plate plus the tip of the spike had been cut off to make a lamp. I got a plate and proper silver OR spike...so it can be done.The missing finish could simply be filled in using multiple coats of black shoe polish as it is not thick. Mine is marked (ink stamp) PB29 on the rear visor. It would pay you to take 2 minutes to check for a similar stamp.

yes put me on the list. It would be nice to be around other people that dont think something is wrong with me for my infatuation with a bunch of hundred your old paperweights

I agree with Tony. The outline is there in the photos, especially on the computer.

How 'bout some photos of your Bavarian helmet in the background? :D

Ron

"How 'bout some photos of your Bavarian helmet in the background?"

Ill take some images when I get back to the store. Every now and then I find something I completely forgot I had. Yesterday was looking for something and found a Cut Down Mauser rifle for mounted troops. Somewhere around the 1870 time frame. Had completely forgot about it, along with a 8-9 Japaneses bayonets, boxes of US insigina, box of nazi flags and so on. I put stuff in my back room after I buy it in the ill get to it pile.

The Bavarian is one of those. The front visor needs to be re attached to the body.Just Havent been able to get to it.

Only taken me a month to get back on here. Well I found a Pioneer plate. Looks good. Also included some images of the Bavarian. Its a small helm ive included a prop (my 6 year old to demonstrate the size)
DSC_1970.jpg

DSC_1974.jpg

DSC_1972.jpg

the visor on this helm is complete detached from the body. Any one going to SOS that can sew? Ive asked my wife many times but its not really high on her priority list.
DSC_1913.jpg

DSC_1916.jpg

DSC_1921.jpg
[/list]

Six years old... that's about the age I was when I got hooked on these helmets. Looks like you'll never have to worry about 'where your collection will end up'!

Since it looks like the original thread is still on the visor, you could just use some very fine thread that isn't noticeable, a small needle and 'tack' it in place. Then, make a stand for it that allows the front visor to just touch the shelf, without any weight on it and you're good to go. The visor looks nice and flat / clean.

:D Ron

Back