New Toy

ottodog8

Hi All,
Picked this up on the mainland last week from a dealer who does house cleanouts. At first glance it may not be much to look at, but I like the original untouched condition. Literally right out of the attic. The visor stitching is gone and the spike tip is dented, but it does have both original cockades. I know the fittings look brass, but that is just the patina on the silver fittings that are correct for the 5th Garde zu Fuss Regiment. Steve

IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

Wow! I think thats a pretty special thing to just stumble across. The inside looks good, great markings - what sort of nick is the outer shell in? Will you get the visor re-stitched or what, Steve?

Hi Steve:

A find like that would keep me in high spirits for a least two weeks. Congratulations! The helmet's appearance reminds me of the state of my Garde Pionier before its lustre was restored (only this 5 G.R.z.F. is much nicer). Yours has the correct spike, too. Now all you need is a white Trichter.

Fantasy Island, eh? Give my regards to Mr. Roarke and Tattoo. Did you take "de plane, de plane" to the mainland? :D

Chas.

What a great feeling to find an untouched beauty out of the woodwork! May we all be so fortunate this coming year.

Congratulations!

And why do I have the feeling that with every cool unit-marked find, Tony's going to have the matching waffenrock to show us? I love it.

David

Hi,
Thanks for your kind comments. To me, and obviously to all of us, it really is a thrill to turn up something nice in an unexpected way. Thrill of the hunt, I guess. I'm partial to enlisted pieces with regimental markings so it appeals to me on several levels.
As far as the helmet goes, I will restitch the visor. The finish on the exterior is complete, but has "alligatored" probably due to heat. It is visible in the pic just above the eagle, and continues in greater or lesser degrees around the helmet. I would welcome opinions on what to do (if anything) about this.
Chas, I didn't take de plane, I took the ferry. I always wanted to get one of those life size cardboard cutouts of Mr. Roarke and Tattoo and stand them up at the wharf where the ferry comes in. Believe me, they would be appropriate! And I don't mean in a good way.
Steve

Hi Steve,

You have a very handsome piece, there, a great find! And the way you found it is every collector's dream.

As to refinishing the exterior, that is an operation that takes a huge amount of skill; something akin to French polishing fine furniture.

You may not be aware, but Brian Loree, the fellow who so kindly operates this forum for our benefit, is a master at pickelhaube refurbishing. If you want to get the job done right, I'd contact him.

All the best for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Laurie

Back