New Wurttemberg

Peter B

So my new Wurttemberg that I posted earlier is now complete with the kokarden from Alan.

Thanks again Alan!

It has a name on the front visor and what I think is the name of the soldier who brought it back in pencil.

The soldier's name is Thieme. The pencil name says Fleuery - 1914.

Anyone help with information help on Thieme would be appreciated. Didn't find him on the wounded list.

Cheers.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Resized_20220623_105238.jpeg
    Resized_20220623_105238.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Resized_20220623_105231.jpeg
    Resized_20220623_105231.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Resized_20220621_185547.jpeg
    Resized_20220621_185547.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 36
Nice piece! p.s. I like your medal collection!
Thanks! I know they are bit close together but if I make another row then end up in shadow. Might consider some sort of better lighting so I can make two rows.

If the back of the shelf is posterboard then you can add hooks a display the medals in different rows, then you can get angled lights so that the shadow isn't too large. That's what I had with my old display but it was French and British medals, not german ones.

If the back of the shelf is posterboard then you can add hooks a display the medals in different rows, then you can get angled lights so that the shadow isn't too large. That's what I had with my old display but it was French and British medals, not german ones.
Thanks Louis. Do you by chance have a picture of how the lights were set up?

Peter

Very nice helmet, with it's recently aquired kokarden from Alan! A very nice addition to your collection.
I know of a village called Fleury, Fleury devant Douaumont to be precise, but that is in the Verdun region.
One of the lost villages, villages detruite. It still exists in name alone, it was never rebuilt after the battle of Verdun.
But, as far as I know, the germans did not get so far in 1914. There are 2 more villages called Fleury, but they are on the southern coast of France.
I'll check my Rangliste of 1913, but I guess Philippe can tell you much more about Thieme than I can.

Regards, Coert.

Sadly no but I had an angled one on the bottom and a regular led on the top so that the shadow was minimal. It also helped that I had a glass-shelved display case.

Very nice helmet, with it's recently aquired kokarden from Alan! A very nice addition to your collection.
I know of a village called Fleury, Fleury devant Douaumont to be precise, but that is in the Verdun region.
One of the lost villages, villages detruite. It still exists in name alone, it was never rebuilt after the battle of Verdun.
But, as far as I know, the germans did not get so far in 1914. There are 2 more villages called Fleury, but they are on the southern coast of France.
I'll check my Rangliste of 1913, but I guess Philippe can tell you much more about Thieme than I can.

Regards, Coert.
Thanks Coert. Good point that Fleury could be a village - I just assumed it was the name of the soldier who brought it back.

Thanks Coert. Good point that Fleury could be a village - I just assumed it was the name of the soldier who brought it back.
Just looking at maps, it looks like they might have made it to Fleury in the First Battle of the Marne (Sep 6-12, 1914). No scale on this but Fleury in there somewhere, maybe where I put the circle?

Peter

Attachments

• Marne_LI.jpg
    Marne_LI.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Fleury.JPG
    Fleury.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 4
This could well have been in the spot where you put the circle Peter! This would mean, that your helmet was probably found, or taken as a
battlefield bring back by a French soldier, in 1914. Looking at your maps, Fleury is very near, or even in the circle you have put there.

Coert is correct about Fleury, a former village next to Verdun.
Verdun was a fortified, heavily armed salient that was not taken by the Germans in 1914, although the frontline was very close, as can be seen on the map above. Hence, I think it is most unlikely that German trophies were present in Fleury in 1914.
It is still possible that a French soldier stationed in the Verdun area got the helmet from nearby battlefields. Another possibility, perhaps more likely and already mentioned by Peter is that Fleury - a common French family name - was the guy who picked up the helmet somewhere else.

I just looked in my Reichsarchives books, Schlachten des weltkrieges, Das Marne drama, and took some photo's of a map there.
As you can see TB13 was there at the time, I will post some pictures, but they are not very clear though.
Das Marne drama 1914 1..jpg
Das Marne drama 1914 2.jpg

I might find more about TB13. The first book I posted some pictures of, has 4 more other volumes after it. It was quite well documented.
If I find more, I'll post it here. I hope you find out what happenened to Thieme, like I did with the research Phillpe found out about the guy
who was the wearer of my Wurttemberg M15. And the ones who wore it later.

Back