Newbie here with question about German shoulder boards

Westbatman

I am brand new here and not a collector of Imperial German militaria but I was given my Grandfathers complete WWI US uniform and equipment.

My Grandfather brought back what I believe to be 3 Imperial German Minenwerfer enlisted shoulder straps. All three are marked MWXX in red thread on a black background, trimmed in red and the backside being the gray wool. A few moth nips on one, primarily in the lettering, a small nip on the W and one on the X.

He also brought back one field gray should strap with a red embroidered J with the numeral 3, no trim embroidery. It is in very good shape. Does anyone have an idea as if I am correct on the first one and what the other one might be and their approximate value? Not that I am going to part with them, just curious.

Thanks so much for any information. I'll try and post a photo later this evening.

Andy

Andy, your J3 might actually be a "T3" for Telgraphen. Get some photos up and that is easy to confirm. The others you described sound correct for Minenwerfer.

Thanks Tony, I have visited your site in the past and I appreciate your tips on conservation. Works for all time periods.

Here is the photo of the shoulder boards.

boards.jpg

Andy

Thanks again Tony!

Any ideas as to how I go about finding some more information on these units? Any estimate on value?

Andy

Westbatman,

Actually, the XX on your Minenwerfer straps are battalion numbers. The only corps to use a Roman numeral was the Württembergisches A.K. XIII.

Chip

Back