Newbie looking for help

searcher35

Hello, I have been a lurker here for awhile. After drooling over everybodys helmets I'm looking into buying one. Unfortunately I probably cant afford an original. I was wondering if anybody was making decent replicas? I dont want one that will break the bank though, it will probably be used for reenactment as well as display. I look forward to learning as much as I can. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi Rob,
If you are wanting one for re-enacting, then a repro is the way to go, the down side is that repros cost about as much as the real thing. If you want a real one, you will probably not be able to wear it unless you wear a 6 7/8ths or smaller hat, as most common Pickelhuaben are in a small size. I would not recoment using an original for re-enacting though, as you stand to do damage to it. Take a look at this link at Schipperfabrik, there are some decent repros available, http://www.schipperfabrik.com/1a-germ_helms.html.
Best of luck.
Gus

Rob,
We have a couple reenactors already that ,ight be able to stear you the right way: Mark (zipperhead) and Cliff (Cliffn)
real ones cost at the low end about the same as a repop -- as Gus said. Welcome!

Back