North American weather

joerookery said:
joerookery wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:14 pm
I never really believed that Elvis was alive!
Sacrilege :thumbsdown:
I am pretty sure I saw him pan handling in Las Vegas a few years ago.

He was in the Marine second division during the gulf war.

You lost me Joe. I don't get the reference.

John :?

Joe refers to my comment..." I never believed that Elvis was alive". He responds: Sacrilege :thumbsdown: and then states he has seen him panhandling in Vegas and then...he was in the 2nd Marine Div. Gulf War. To roughly translate using my Canuck brain..... basically: "Shit I saw him in Vegas panhandling" (needs no translation) and then again...I suspect what may be a disparaging comment.... ( perhaps not?) Joe also saw him in the 2nd Marine Div during the Gulf War. End Trans..... Shit, maybe Elvis is alive (my words)?? According to the fake news tabloids at the time, Elvis was a GI in Germany and later died from drugs. However, like... I mean, Joe IS a Col. so what he says is gotta be true but wasn't the King's Manager also a Col. ?? :-? I am totally confused. Maybe Elvis is like really alive ...eh?? :eek:. In the name of our forum...I am going to confront Col. Joe at the SOS,... as I have done on numerous occaisions despite his "attack dog" and many female admirers. To be continued....but I may have to post a "Go Fund Me" Page on the Net to cover Medical Expenses....only US$ or Euros, thank you!!

b.loree said:
Joe refers to my comment..." I never believed that Elvis was alive". He responds: Sacrilege :thumbsdown: and then states he has seen him panhandling in Vegas and then...he was in the 2nd Marine Div. Gulf War. To roughly translate using my Canuck brain..... basically: "Shit I saw him in Vegas panhandling" (needs no translation) and then again...I suspect what may be a disparaging comment.... ( perhaps not?) Joe also saw him in the 2nd Marine Div during the Gulf War. End Trans..... Shit, maybe Elvis is alive (my words)?? According to the fake news tabloids at the time, Elvis was a GI in Germany and later died from drugs. However, like... I mean, Joe IS a Col. so what he says is gotta be true but wasn't the King's Manager also a Col. ?? :-? I am totally confused. Maybe Elvis is like really alive ...eh?? :eek:. In the name of our forum...I am going to confront Col. Joe at the SOS,... as I have done on numerous occaisions despite his "attack dog" and many female admirers. To be continued....but I may have to post a "Go Fund Me" Page on the Net to cover Medical Expenses....only US$ or Euros, thank you!!

Oh, okay, that clears it up completely.

John :D

I love the way my initial posting about the weather morphs into a dispute about whether Elvis actually popped his clogs, or is still out there somewhere. Perhaps, if he is, he’s doing the odd bit of karaoke to keep his 84 year old voice in good nick.

Patrick

Gustaf said:
Most of the news people have only been reporting for the past 5 to 10 years and do not remember that this type of weather happens about every 20 years. They always report the wind chill which makes it sound even worse. Wind chill only is a problem to exposed skin and does not really make it that bad.

I found it disingenuous that the media suggested there was nearly a 100 degree shift in temperature. That's not correct. It may have been -15 in Chicago and felt like -45 and days later was nearly 50 above. OK, that may sound like a 95 degree difference but it isn't, as that factored in the wind chill as Gus noted. The actual temperature swing was thus -15 to 50, which is only a 65 degree difference. Still big but not as impressive.

Also, even at 50 degrees you'd have a "wind chill," which could make it feel like 35 degrees in the shade. So even if you did "felt like" comparison then you're actually at -45 to 35, which is an 80 degree difference but short of the 100 degrees.

Finally, the news was guilty of comparing the LOW of one day with the HIGH of another, so one temperature would have been around 5am while the other was around 3pm. Figure this time of the year it can be 20 overnight and still reach nearly 50 during the day. That's already a 30 degree difference. The weather whiplash was less impressive too because yes last Thursday it was -5 by me, but 12 above on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 55 on Sunday. That sounds like a huge difference but it was in weather terms a gradual warmup. We also gained nearly five minutes of daylight in the same period.

And now the newsys are fretting because there is the possibility that the magnetic poles could switch (the magnetic north pole is moving faster than normal) one report stated that there would be massive earthquakes when this happened, because the reporter believed that the earth itself would change orientation in the heavens. Then there was also the news reporter who asked Neil DeGrasse Tysen (Mike's little brother) if the meteorite that hit Russia a few years ago was caused by global warming. Remember that these people are allowed to vote!

Back