Not a helmet this time!

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
I missed out on a real nice one of these 10 or so years ago, and finally found another one, this one is far from mint, but I am still very happy with it.

Box for 100 kokarden for Pickelhaubes.

Would love to see pics of others if anyone has one?

Would also love to find a full box, but that is a dream I think.

James

box.jpg

Hey James, here is a pict of another one.. Unfortunately not mine, just saw it on ebay US for a few months...
archive3.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

Philippe :salute:

Interesting stuff - nice one James!

Anyone know how they actually went about painting these things? Getting that central ring spot-on must be the tricky part. Did they use something like a potters wheel and turn it with the brush placed in the hollow just right? They are incredibly accurate and uniform most times - almost like they were done on a machine.

Hey Mike
I would venture to guess that they used a mask, much like the silk screening process used today to apply designs to T shirts
Best
Gus

I had a half full box same as this bought at an Antique shop the owner thought they were German Poker/game chips. Sold them all @ $5-$10 each. That was 1978. Then tossed the box as no one wanted it.
Dem wus de days.
:eek: :eek:
Jerry

Jerry Rehr said:
I had a half full box same as this bought at an Antique shop the owner thought they were German Poker/game chips. Sold them all @ $5-$10 each. That was 1978. Then tossed the box as no one wanted it.
Dem wus de days.
:eek: :eek:
Jerry

Aaaaaagh!!! :(

Right Gus, maybe, - I never thought of that but I reckon thats it?

Oh, my gosh! Great thread. I'm trying to find a really nice origianl Reich cockade (See Wanted to Buy post here). In my search I've wondered were these pristine examples are coming from thinking they were repros. None available to date or sold. Well, apparently not all are repros; surplus, of course. Anyone have an extra they want to cut loose?

Other painting techniques could include: 1. Chuck, spin, apply color, or 2. Color stamping/printing with a compliant ink/paint pad to conform to uneven surfaces.

Take care and thanks,
John

There was another guy in the US who sold these on Ebay back in the mid 1990's. Claimed that the box came from a theatrical company that had gone out of business. War surplus!!!! I bought about 6 of them. B

No, he had a full box and sold them off at what was called a dutch auction on ebay ie...you wanted 6 you bid for that amount at the current auction price for each. Would not happen now when they go for $35 each. The box may have come up for sale but. I got my kokarden and then split. B

Nice find James, i am sure it will find a nice place amongst your helmets!

Speaking of original kokardes and replicas: I sometimes find it very difficult to sort out if an example is genuine or not looking at (ebay)pictures. There is this guy in France who even offers them in a "rusted" condition, complete with "missing" paint! Very difficult to distinguish from the real stuff. Any suggestions from the experts?

As for market prices: buying by bidding for kokarden at auctions (euro 40/60 for Reichskokarden, and sometimes far more for Landeskokarden) often make the helmet once completed too expensive related to its market price.

Marcel

Marcel,
I have been on the look-out for a Reichs cockade and recently purchased an original ( I hope; not received yet) for $62.50. I was happy to have the opportunity to find and purchase for my M15; even consider myself somewhato "lucky" at this point. Time will tell.
One of the realities of collecting an item like a cockades, buttons, tinnies or anything or part of something that was originally stamped is that many of those original punch and die sets are still extant. The knowledge to very closely duplicate the patina, whether rust, worn or chipped paint, etc. is also available. Even if the original tooling is not available there are several methods to reproduce the tooling or part using an original as the model especially with CAD and CAM systems. If there's money to be made rest assured repros and fakes will be produced.
You're correct one can easily assemble a parts helmet (or other) valued higher than the market will bear at the moment. But you can always retionalize that you didn't pay too much, you just bought too early.
Take care,
John

Back