Oberstleutnant Carl Cuno Arthur von Arnstedt

Jvpi

Studio portrait of Oberstleutnant Carl Cuno Arthur von Arnstedt, commander of the East Asia Mounted Regiment「東亞騎兵團」in the winter uniform of the East Asia Expeditionary Corps「東亞遠征軍」. He wore the officer’s grey Litewka, bandoleer for cavalry, and a straw hat with the imperial & regional cockade attached on the right side brim. As the regulations stated, his shoulder boards had red underlay. The medal bar worn by him included the 1870 Iron Cross 2nd class, House Order of Hohenzollern knight cross, Order of the Red Eagle 4th class, Wilhelm I Centenary Medal and the Prussian officers’ Long Service Award. Other medals are currently unidentifiable. The photo was taken in Potsdam before heading off to China. His full career:

1849.11 - Born in Großwechsungen.
1869.4 - Joined the Husaren-Regiment “König Humbert von Italien” (1. Kurhessisches) Nr. 13 as officer candidate.
1870/71 - Participated in the Franco-Prussian War and was promoted to Sekondeleutnant.
1879 - Promoted to Premier Leutnant.
1885 - As adjutant of the 16. Kavallerie Brigade and transferred to 2. Rheinisches Husaren-Regiment Nr.9.
1884 - Promoted to Rittmeister, appointed as commander of a squadron of the 2. Westfälisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11.
1892 - Promoted to Major.
1894 - Appointed as military assistant to Prince Friedrich Heinrich and Joachim Albrecht von Preußen, was made à la suite of the Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11.
1897 - Transferred to Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17.
1898- Appointed as the regimental commander of the Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17.
1899 - Promoted to Oberstleutnant.
1900 - Joined the East Asia Expeditionary Corps and took command of the Mounted Regiment. Shipped off to China to free the legations trapped in Beijing and to quell the uprising「義和團運動」.
1903.10 - Died in Königsberg due to lung disease caught in the China campaign.

卡尔·库诺·阿瑟·冯·阿恩施泰特中校肖像照,1900年摄于波茨坦。八国联军中,他担任德军唯一一个骑兵团的指挥官。

Last edited:
View attachment 21765
View attachment 21766

Studio portrait of Oberstleutnant Carl Cuno Author von Arnstedt, commander of the East Asia Mounted Regiment「東亞騎兵團」in the winter uniform of the East Asia Expeditionary Corps「東亞遠征軍」. He wore the officer’s grey Litewka, bandoleer for cavalry, and a straw hat with the imperial & regional cockade attached on the right side brim. As the regulations stated, his shoulder boards had red underlay. The medal bar worn by him included the 1870 Iron Cross 2nd class, House Order of Hohenzollern knight cross, Order of the Red Eagle 4th class, Wilhelm I Centenary Medal and the Prussian officers’ Long Service Award. Other medals are currently unidentifiable. The photo was taken in Potsdam before heading off to China. His full career:

1849.11 - Born in Großwechsungen.
1869.4 - Joined the Husaren-Regiment “König Humbert von Italien” (1. Kurhessisches) Nr. 13 as officer candidate.
1870/71 - Participated in the Franco-Prussian War and promoted to Sekondeleutnant.
1879 - Promoted to Premier Leutnant.
1885 - As adjutant of the 16. Kavallerie Brigade and transferred to 2. Rheinisches Husaren-Regiment Nr.9.
1884 - Promoted to Rittmeister, appointed as commander of a squadron of the 2. Westfälisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11.
1892 - Promoted to Major.
1894 - Appointed as military assistant to Prince Friedrich Heinrich and Joachim Albrecht von Preußen, was made à la suite of the Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11.
1897 - Transferred to Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17.
1898- Appointed as the regimental commander of the Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17.
1899 - Promoted to Oberstleutnant.
1900 - Joined the East Asia Expeditionary Corps and took command of the Mounted Regiment. Shipped off to China to free the legations trapped in Beijing and to quell the uprising「義和團運動」.
1903.10 - Died in Königsberg due to lung disease caught in the China campaign.

卡尔·库诺·阿瑟·冯·阿恩施泰特中校肖像照,1900年摄于波茨坦。八国联军中,他担任德军唯一一个骑兵团的指挥官。
I wonder what color his bandolier would be ?? Steve McFarland

Hi Steve according to the sources I have, the bandolier front was wide gold lace.View attachment 21767
Thanks
What would the color of the backing fabric be ? When I had more uniforms years ago I bought officers bandoliers to go with them. Thye always had the backing fabric to match the unifrom .Example 1 L H R 1 and 2 L H R 2 were silver with black backing .Steve

Thanks
What would the color of the backing fabric be ? When I had more uniforms years ago I bought officers bandoliers to go with them. Thye always had the backing fabric to match the unifrom .Example 1 L H R 1 and 2 L H R 2 were silver with black backing .Steve
Since the Germans formed the corps in a very short time, I suppose the bandoliers for cavalry officers were the same to those field artillery officers; which is dark blue backing.

Back