Officer-Helmet - Füsilier-Reg. 80/86, Royal Infantry-Reg. 145 or Infantry-Reg. 25

Sandmann

Dear fellow Forum-Members,
it took a while, but today I‘m proud to introduce my latest addition to my collection :)
It‘s a Helmet from 1900/1914, worn by an Officer of the Füsilier-Reg.-No. 80/86 or Infantry-Reg.-No. 25 with a black Parade-Plume (most likely Buffalo hair, like prescribed for officers). The Helmet is in a very good shape, just very little signs of wearing, the plume is still voluminous. Unfortunately I didn’t find a note or a name inside the Helmet, so the owner cannot be determined. There is just a stamp with the size „55“ inside.
Due to it‘s little signs of wearing and the missing Spike, I guess it was a Helmet just for parades and the owner got another Helmet for his duties.
There were 3 Regiments with golden fittings, prussian line Eagle, flat Chin-Scales and a black hair Parade-Plume. The Infantry-Regiment 25 and the Fusilier-Regiment 80 didn’t receive the permission to carry a black hair Parade-Plume until June 16, 1913. The Fusilier-Regiment 86 was allowed to do this by A.K.O. already on October 18, 1895.
(Source: „Formations- und Uniformierungsgeschichte des preußischen Heeres 1808 bis 1914“ ( by Paul Pietsch) / Page 58 and „Imperial German Headgear (1888-1914) Field Guide“ (by James D. Turinetti) / 12 - Infantry, 26 - Infantry and 28 - Infantry).
The regulations for officer Parade-Plumes were prescribed as follows:
The hairbush for foot soldiers had to end in line with the upper edge of the Front-Visor. For riding soldiers the hairbush had to end in line with the lower edge of the Front-Visor. The height of the Funnel was supposed to be 15 cm. The diameter of the button attached to the Needle should have been 4,5 cm and the plate should have had a diameter of 3,5 cm.
(Source: Bekleidungs-Vorschrift für Offiziere und Sanitätsoffiziere des königlich preußischen Heeres, Berlin 1896: Page 79)

Just for completeness the regulations for EM Parade-Plumes:
The height of the Funnel had to be about 11 cm. It should widen to the top up to a diameter of 7,5 cm. At the base the pipe was supposed to have a diameter of 1,8 cm. The Button-Needle with a length of 4 cm and screwable had to have a flat round Button with a diameter of 3 cm.
For NCOs the Button shouldn’t have the color of the Helmet-Fittings, but painted black if the hair was white or painted white if the hair was black or red.
(Source: Bekleidungsordnung 2. Teil, Vorschriften für die Beschaffenheit und Unterscheidungszeichen der Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der Mannschaften aller Waffen sowie der Ausrüstung der Reitpferde der Kavallerie, Berlin 1903): §39, §138, §145)

Last edited:
That helmet is in amazing condition, Sandy stone mint! Congratulation. Thank you also for translating and posting the regulations also.

I agree with your assessment that it must have been used only for parade.
It shows practically zero wear. What a fabulous helmet.
Thank you for the additional research on the Trichter. That information is hard to find.

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Sandmann said:
There were 3 Regiments with golden fittings, prussian line Eagle, flat Chin-Scales and a black hair Parade-Plume. The Infantry-Regiment 25 and the Fusilier-Regiment 80 didn’t receive the permission to carry a black hair Parade-Plume until June 16, 1913. The Fusilier-Regiment 86 was allowed to do this by A.K.O. already on October 18, 1895.

Sandy,

You´ve forgotten one: the KJR145 between 18.10.1895 and September 1913, as the KJR145 was then allowed to wear the wide Grenadier eagle :wink:

Philippe
:wink:

Sandy,

You´ve forgotten one: the KJR145 between 18.10.1895 and September 1913, as the KJR145 was then allowed to wear the wide Grenadier eagle 😉

Philippe
😉
Thank you very much (y)
I really missed this Regiment, because it is shown only with the Gren-Eagle in my favorite Field-Guide and a bit complicated to find out with the book Formations- und Uniformierungsgeschichte... But with todays knowledge it‚s written in there 😇

It‘s corrected now :) (sad, no military-smiley anymore:poop::unsure:;))

Back