Officers Liner Questions

Stirnpanzer

Hi,

I plan on making a couple of officers liners ... just cant seem to find decent replacements.

The leather is Goat skin ?

How do i get the "Cookie Cut" fringe effect on the edge , a special tool ? (hope that that makes sense)

The Silk is often called ribbed silk or Moire ... with a little bamboo/wicker type stick to make it rigid ?

Thanks if advance if you can help clarify...

Mark

K223907_7 (Medium).jpg

If you are looking to reproduce an officer's liner you can find a quality reproduction of the cloth skull here:

https://spikehelmets.pl/english/products/helmet-parts/innenfutter-lining-2.html

The scalloping on the leather liner would be tough to imitate I imagine.

John :)

I would think that the edging was produced using a specialized tool. It would be something like a slitter that you would pull the piece of leather through and cutting dies put the edge on.

Not all officer's liners had the super detailed scalloping that your photo shows. Some were actually pretty plain.
Here are three examples that I had readily available photos of:

1TVea2h.jpg

w3HFrcC.jpg

SKLOIOF.jpg

John :)

Thanks Sandy

Did a search on german ebay and they are everywhere .... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Konturenschere-Bastellschere-Kreativschere-12-Schnittmuster-wahlbar/392154681965?epid=1604185146&hash=item5b4e3d926d:m:mFQdYrXTRitxLJhgbEnuIrw

That will sort out the german liners i need to make... The one I pictured is from a Russian Garde and a little more complicated (another project on the list) ... but now i know what i'm looking for \:D/

Mark

I have come across many officer liners both original and reproduction. No matter how good or close the reproduction are, one can still identify them.

I have few officer helmets missing the silk canvas or the sweatband, I rather leave them alone until I can find an original one (though it is tough as the sweatband comes with different sizes).

France ebay does have officer liners come up once a while but they are getting dear over time.

The OR's liners are vegetable tanned sheepskin. I have always thought that the officer sweatband was calfskin but I could be wrong. Goat is definitely not part of the equation. Goat hide when tanned has a yellowish tinge to it in my experience. Chair caning could be used for the stiffener in an officer liner, or you could simply split a bamboo skewer available in most grocery stores. There is a Polish company which advertises repro silk liners on Ebay de but as has been said they really "scream" repro. The "watered" silk they used is also not similar to the originals. I have investigated available modern silk on the internet and have never found anything close to the originals. I frankly don't think they produce that version of silk anymore. If anyone knows of a source....please comment.

Watered Silk (called true Moiré-Silk) is still gonna be produced by some Manufacturers with original heated Presses. I know some Manufacturers in Europe but unfortunately they don‘t produce it for end customers in small pieces of fabrics.
I‘m looking for such small pieces of antique Moiré-Silk for a restauration project and asked all of them for it. The only answer I got was an offer of a minimum of 15 square-meters and costs about 5000€. The others even did not answer to my eMail :(
Sometimes you will find antique Moiré-Silk on etsy.com or ebay. On etsy there are antique Moiré-Silk-Ribbons in different sizes. Maybe a wide Ribbon could be used to sew a Liner out of it? I don‘t know because I‘m very bad in handwork skills :-$

Thank you all for your contributions...

The Silk is proving difficult to find, though i have seen some old wedding dresses (on the bay) that are used by doll collectors, might be worth investing in one of these ...?

Back