Oldenburg Kokarde Question

SkipperJohn

I acquired this 1860-1871 Oldenburg Kokarde and had a question about the color. It was listed as "new/old stock" and appeared correct. It is stamped steel, magnetic (of course), standard thickness, and 57mm. I don't doubt that the Kokarde is original, I just question the color and the paint:

PkUZ0Fo.jpg

The colors match Kokarden off of Oldenburg Mütze and Schirmmütze perfectly, but not Pickelhauben that I have seen. I have noticed, here on the forum, that the Oldenburg Pickelhauben illustrated vary widely in the color of the state Kokarde. Some are pretty close to this light blue color while some appear more royal blue. Others seem to have oxidized so completely that they appear black and red, almost hard to distinguish from a Württemberg Kokarde.
What are your opinions on this one?

John :)

Looking at the kokarde, and it's color, I think it's been repainted John.
It all looks just too "fresh" to me.

The ones that I have on my Oldenberg helmets John, are darker than yours. I will post some pics tomorrow.

pickelhauben said:
Does the red glow with a black light ?

No, nothing glows under black light. The paint chips easily but does not dissolve with solvents.
There is no oxidation at all, which could account for it's lighter color.
Again, it matches an Oldenburg Schirmmütze Kokarde perfectly.

Did Oldenburg change colors? Is it possible that there were many variations in colors considered acceptable?

J.LeBrasseur said:
I like it, would like to see the back, but IMO I think it is good.

James

I'm not sure that seeing the back will help. I had to clean some material (glue and felt maybe) off of the back.
There were a couple of small, light blue, drips or runs on the reverse, but they chipped off.
Now the reverse side is just a matte black and gray/silver.

nH0beA2.jpg

Bringing back the thread with some opinions requested for an Oldenburg cockade. This came off a helmet I recently got, but now looking at it up close, I am unsure about the cockade. I have attached a picture of the wappen the cockade was paired with. I have also attached some cockades if different stages of wear to compare colors and wear. It is magnetic and it is the same diameter as my originals.

Thoughts?

Gabe

Attachments

• 044A0807.JPG
    044A0807.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 044A0810.JPG
    044A0810.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 044A0812.JPG
    044A0812.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 13