Oldenburg?,,, or not?

seagull

Just found this wappen coming up to auction and some things don't seem quite as they should be : strange spacing of the rear screw posts, the upper points of the Star are uneven, and the coat of arms doesn't have the degree of definition I see in others here.
I would appreciate any critiques, thanks, Steve

Attachments

• 1fab0889-cd71-4d34-9660-ae3f00ebc92c.jpg
    1fab0889-cd71-4d34-9660-ae3f00ebc92c.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 8df2251f-10a5-4d5a-8749-ae3f00ebaf04.jpg
    8df2251f-10a5-4d5a-8749-ae3f00ebaf04.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 73d76764-78e2-4943-8370-ae3f00eb944a.jpg
    73d76764-78e2-4943-8370-ae3f00eb944a.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 31
Steve, I honestly don’t really see anything wrong with that as far as the Eagle goes. Looks like a standard M1871 Eagle. I have seen that weird copper colour before when somebody seriously overheated the brass when soldering, and you see it’s right where some soldering was done. There is no way to remove that. I don’t think Galvano as the eagle itself is not really that rare. The Oldenburg Wappen seems fine from the front, however, what little I can see of the back, it seems like casting bubbles? Plus overlays are normally attached with screw posts, but on this one, it’s just a big blob of solder which is not typical. Too many questions to purchase in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for that input Tony, I didn't see much wrong with the Adler apart from the unequal spacing of the screw posts but the mad blobs of solder holding what I thought to be a suspect coat of arms and a star that doesn't impress me, just didn't chime well with some of the known genuine pieces shown on the forum. I'll certainly pass on it.
Cheers, Steve.

Just found this wappen coming up to auction and some things don't seem quite as they should be : strange spacing of the rear screw posts, the upper points of the Star are uneven, and the coat of arms doesn't have the degree of definition I see in others here.
I would appreciate any critiques, thanks, Steve
Steve, the right screwpost was obviously displaced. You can see where it was originally, just on the scroll like the left one. This is not good. Adding the sloppy soldering of the Oldenburg arms (which should always be affixed with screwposts and nuts), I would follow Tony's advice and leave this thing where it is...

Thanks Bruno, this wappen was a temptation but I needed better eyes on it than mine! I pity the buyer whoever he turns out to be.
Steve

Back