Oldenburgischen Infanterie Regiments No. 91 - Dem scheiden kameraden

Snaffles

I have had this silver cup for many years (a Christmas present from my parents when I was at school). It was presented to Major Von Witzleben by the officers of IR 91 in 1904. Major Von Witzleben served in the Regiment from 1875, so would presumably would have served under then Oberstleutnant Paul Von Hindenburg (c-in-c of the Regiment 1893 - 96). Unfortunately I do not have any other information about Major Von Witzleben. If anyone can let me know where I may find any additional information about Major Von Witzleben, I would be grateful. He doesn’t appear in the 1907 Ragliste I have. The detail on the shield on the reverse of the cup is excellent. The cup is 5.75 inches high (14.5cm) and is marked on the underside with a new moon, crown 800 and eagle and , presumably, the makers name, Gotting.21CAFCFA-0F4E-4428-9F47-0BA04C0C4C03.jpegCB69EC66-3411-4E9D-A08A-1128B0109212.jpeg

Wow Michael that is beautiful, You obviously had very 'sympatico' parents! I especially admire the wonderful quality of the engraving on these pre-war items, you just don't see that class of skill today.
Best regards,
Steve

Thanks very much Steve. Yes, I was quite lucky in that my mother loved auctions and antique stores and every so often she would find something she thought I might be interested in. One of my best Christmas surprises was to find 3 Gew ‘88s waiting for me ( we lived in Canada then and gun laws were very relaxed!). I still have one here (deactivated when brought into the UK).
All the best,
Michael

I wouldn’t mind finding that in my Christmas stocking! Another amazing piece, thanks for sharing.
Dennis

That is a beautiful piece. German commercial silver like Michael’s cup is half-moon, crown, and silver content marked in accordance with the Imperial Order 16 July 1884. Here is my point: that means the Oldenburg Wappen and the crown + P cypher have to be silver as well. So for all of us admiring this great little cup, it’s not a helmet Wappen and it’s not a shoulder board cypher, they are .800 jeweller made in silver. Outstanding craftsmanship yes?

What a beautiful preserved cup. The first time I see this kind of cup with Oldenburg insignia. Congratulations :)

Michael,

August von Witzleben, born 16 October 1856 in Oldenburg.

1 October 1875: Volunteer in IR 91
18 May 1876: Portepee-Fähnrich
10 Feb 1877: Sekondelieutenant
3 March 1887: Premierlieutenant
16 Feb 1896: Hauptmann and appointment as company commander
22 November 1902: Major
24 April 1904: Transferred to IR 72 as a battalion commander (II./IR 72)
13 Sep 1906: Placed at disposal and assigned as commander of Landwehr-Bezirk Stendal
16 July 1909: Character as Oberstleutnant

23 Feb 1910: Died in Stendal.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn

Thank you so much! You have solved two mysteries at once! I have two much smaller cups - shooting prizes - which came with the big cup. One is from IR 72 dated 1906 and the other is from Stendal, dated 1907. I will need to clean them and will then post photos. I had wondered whether there was any connection between the three, or whether they had just been grouped together for sale. You have made my day!

All the best,
Michael

Last edited:
Michael,
Very nice set of cups that can be traced to a soldier’s service. Thank you for cleaning them up and posting detailed picture.
Best regards
John

Back