On Facebook, History Can Violate Community Standards

Peter_Suciu

This is a topic that is debated a lot with German (Third Reich) militaria, but recently I ran afoul of Facebook for sharing a story I wrote. So rather than take it lying down I wrote another story (for Forbes.com) on how Facebook said my history piece violated "community standards." I was able to get insight from academia and various tech experts.

On Facebook, History Can Violate Community Standards

www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2020/05/22/on-facebook-history-can-violate-community-standards/

Peter_Suciu said:
But the more worrisome part is that social media, with its vast reach, could control a narrative on what people should read, collect or even the information individuals share – at least if someone, or worse an algorithm, thinks it violated the community standards.
Outstanding Peter

Hi Peter,

interesting piece, but I have to agree that the title is "misleading": fact is that Hitler lost WW II, that he could have won is supposition, even if based on facts. No reason to ban it on FB though :)

Regards, Lars

Lars13 said:
Hi Peter,

interesting piece, but I have to agree that the title is "misleading": fact is that Hitler lost WW II, that he could have won is supposition, even if based on facts. No reason to ban it on FB though :)

Regards, Lars

Hi, Lars--
I agree with you. As a freelance reporter (even a staff reporter) you rarely write your own headlines. Editors like catchy headlines. My headlines was originally "Germany's Missed Opportunities in World War II."

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I didn’t know that. Your original title is clearly the one I would have clicked on, not the “sensational” edited one 😉

Regards, Lars

aicusv said:
I was told that posting a photo of a Pzkw Mark III was hate speech,

A cousin builds models and said posting Finnish WWII airplanes got him in trouble... because Finland used a blue swastika!

I dug a little deeper into this subject:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2020/06/08/delving-deeper-into-facebooks-murky-community-standards/

Back