Opinions needed on wappen

joerookery

Colonel Ron sent a bunch of pictures of wappen, and I will add a quote from his e-mail. This is a fantastic opportunity for less experienced guys to throw in an opinion. Opinions right or wrong, will lead to more learning.

I was going through my parts box and found the following front plates. The Uhlan looks bogus and the Baden is unusually thin. The Meckenburg is the reverse of the usual silver plate on a gold star. Anyway, I would appreciate your and the forums opinion. These plates have been sitting for at least 20 years.
parts02.jpg
parts01.jpg

If that is a Saxon Duchies (Thuringia) helmet plate on the far right it should have a Fuerst motto and no FR on the chest. Bill

Ya know, I had one of those Ulanen regt Nr. 13s. It looked OK, but there was just something "odd" about it. It had that same weird silver metalic burnt shiny sort of color (?) on the reverse which just did not sit well with me, very different compared to other Wappens I have. I ended up sending it back. This was at least 15 years ago, mmm... 1988 or so?

Tony & Kaiser said:
Ya know, I had one of those Ulanen regt Nr. 13s. It looked OK, but there was just something "odd" about it. It had that same weird silver metalic burnt shiny sort of color (?) on the reverse which just did not sit well with me, very different compared to other Wappens I have. I ended up sending it back. This was at least 15 years ago, mmm... 1988 or so?

Hi Tony,
You have one of those Uhlanen regt Nr. 13s?...cool!
Otto

Good question for a newbie .. but I'm afraid I don't have enough experience to comment as yet ..It just has to show how much I have to learn

Here is my swing at the bat. Just to mimic what other people said the Ulan is the wrong color, the Saxon duchy. I cannot read the bandeau.

The Mecklemburg is good for something. I just haven't found it yet. Actually, it's quite cool.

A thin Baden. I need a closer picture, but I do not think that that is a problem. I have seen many thin Baden's and some thin Prussians. When I mean thin, I mean, almost wafer thin. These tend to be split prong mounted wappen. So I don't know if they are a mid war kind of thing or if it is some sort of an extra light kind of thing. I cannot see if that Baden is pierced nor the type of connector on the back. Yes, I use bifocals, but it's getting worse every year. I have an engineer private purchase helmet split prong that is extremely thin in the wappen department.

Saxon Duchies (Thuringia) helmet plate on the far right it should have a Fuerst motto and no FR on the chest.
The FR on the chest is a good question. You sure would feel better if it did not have one. I am not certain that many helmets did not have that though. Randy says he has seen and ones good ones with the FR. But he feels that it should not have one. No documentation.

Mike the newbie side should take you to look at the solder. Always, always if possible look at the solder. Old solder looks like gunmetal color, new solder looks like shiny silver. Often it is painted over. This in itself would be a great thread.

Hello All:
First I did some restoration work on a Bavarian Inf officer helme 2 years ago that was marked "Feder Lichte" or feather light. The wappen on this was extremely thin. The chin scales were also very narrow, thin and delicate in order to lighten things up. The shell itself was made from a light gauge of leather. So there are helmets out there that were specifically designed not to be as heavy as the normal officer helmet.
Second if you have Lacardes' vol 1 on infantry read the section on fakes. He states that faked wappen began to turn up in the French "markets" around 1966/67. He also gives the tell tale characteristics of these fakes.
Brian

Brian or Max -- can we get a general translation for those of us who are language impaired and would have to struggle to translate this page? I'm just lazy and don't feel like fighting French. What are the telltale signs?

Get Tony to translate that French. Since becoming a gentleman he has had to learn to communicate on a national basis! N'est pas? :D

Chip

Hello everyone,

My apologies for breaking in late in the piece, but no-one has commented about the Garde eagle at 12 o'clock. Am I right that this would be a Garde Grenadier's eagle?

Would this be an earlier piece? The detailing is that much finer, with the separate feathers at the wingtips, that is the first time I have seen wings like that.

In any event, Joe and Ron, thank you for sharing the pictures and the chance to learn a bit.

Cheers,

Laurie

The "Garde" eagle at 12 O'clock is to the 13th Hanoveran Uhlans. I am sending Joe an image of one in my collection today so that you can compare the quality. I would be secure in that it is a copy, if I had not disposed of a couple of copies to a dealer in the past (on his "professional advice") that turned out to be late issue when he sold them.

Ron

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your kind approach to what was almost a silly question. The very bird I asked about was the one getting all of the attention - so much to learn!

I congratulate you on your collection. From what I have seen in other postings, it is really quite magnificent.

Thanks again,

Laurie

Hey Col. Ron,
You are lucky you out rank Tony, or he would say rude things about using the English spelling for Ulan
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Col. Ron,
You are lucky you out rank Tony, or he would say rude things about using the English spelling for Ulan
Gus

My ability to butcher what ever language I am dealing with is legend!

Ron

My ability to butcher what ever language I am dealing with is legend!

Hey Col.
Ron,
In your defense, Uhlan is the correct spelling when communicating in English, so there Tony! I do not mind irritating Tony and Laurie, as they live far enough away, I have little fear of them whoopen my butt.
Gus
PS Otto, I do not know how to spell whoopen, but the action of whoopen will leave me with a lot of bruises

Back