oriental soldier???

joerookery

chinabzirk.jpg

chinabzirk_1.jpg

Interesting photo for a couple of reasons. A clearly prewar photo that is not identified on either the front or the back as to whether these guys are reserve or Landwehr. There does not appear to be a Landwehr cross on the helmets. I seldom see these pictures mentioning the Bezirkskommando.

In addition, one of the soldiers seems to be of Oriental ethnicity. Cannot be certain but it is interesting.
chinabzirk_2.jpg

Maybe he was from Germany's concession in Tsingtao, China? Adopted or perhaps a mixed race???

Maybe he was from Germany's concession in Tsingtao, China? Adopted or perhaps a mixed race???

All possible. The fact that he is a soldier means that he passed through the Musterung process. No one rejected him. I have seen several pictures of dark skined German soldiers but have never read anything that would indicate the thought process in the Musterung for racial minorities. Interesting anomaly.

I had a few friends in high School who where of Austrian background .They apeared , or could pass as North Amerian Indian.
It is interestint to see .
Mark

Back