Palestinian Helmet

Hey Everyone,

This one was listed on Weitze last week and the description on the listing is as follows:

“Prussia spiked helmet World War I for enlisted infantry in tropical design for the Palestine front​

Circa 1915. Cork helmet with reed-colored cloth covering, complete with all fittings in field-grey lacquered brass finish. Original leather storm straps, side buttons, complete with both cockades. Inside with brown sweat leather. Size 55. Slight signs of wear and age, condition 2.”

To the best of my knowledge this style was used in Europe only and not favored because they broke down too easily… being made of cork and all.

Is there any truth to the middle eastern use?

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• 2ACD76AA-BFCF-4DA1-B15B-7827FB31AA2B.png
    2ACD76AA-BFCF-4DA1-B15B-7827FB31AA2B.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • D2A8554F-EBA6-4C79-ACBB-904AC1B59C2E.png
    D2A8554F-EBA6-4C79-ACBB-904AC1B59C2E.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 24
Hey Everyone,

This one was listed on Weitze last week and the description on the listing is as follows:

“Prussia spiked helmet World War I for enlisted infantry in tropical design for the Palestine front​

Circa 1915. Cork helmet with reed-colored cloth covering, complete with all fittings in field-grey lacquered brass finish. Original leather storm straps, side buttons, complete with both cockades. Inside with brown sweat leather. Size 55. Slight signs of wear and age, condition 2.”

To the best of my knowledge this style was used in Europe only and not favored because they broke down too easily… being made of cork and all.

Is there any truth to the middle eastern use?

Cheers
Jay
Someone put it on reserve
Now it is no longer on reserve
Steve

I used to have ne and traded. I was told these weren't for tropical climates but just another ersatz helmet. So, I don't know what to think

I thought that they were for the expeditionary forces, like those in china, although I am most probably completely wrong

I have a couple in my collection. Occasionally they are presented specifically for Palestina's campaign , but they are a uncommon ersatz and normally utilized in european area. Their specific use in China or Palestina is excluded.
They are very light, very fragile and of poor materials. The chin strap is also simplified in the bindings.

Back