Patina differences in plates

USN

I just got in another M15 baden plate today and I'm certain this has been discussed before but I find it interesting just how much all our pieces can vary in appearance.
Brass is easily tarnished and polished but even painted or treated field gray items very quite differently. I thought I'd post this one here as an example before I no longer have the extra plates for comparison. The darker plate also has a noticeably thicker loop in the back which I found interesting.
20211207_201147.jpg
20211207_200718.jpg

nice comparison, have to remember that there where many, many different manufactures on these helmets and parts. Some obviously used different processes. This can make it hard sometimes to find proper replacement parts.

James

Reactions: USN
nice comparison, have to remember that there where many, many different manufactures on these helmets and parts. Some obviously used different processes. This can make it hard sometimes to find proper replacement parts.

James
Absolutely, I just find it interesting is all. I'm sure we have felt the pains of trying to match patina and measurements to our projects.

In case anyone is interested, Evapo Rust could be used to clean up the wappen on the right. This takes great care and a Q tip but it can be done without taking off the grey finish. You have to apply EvR leave on for a short time then wash off and keep repeating until rust has been removed. The main thing is not to leave the product on too long or it will dissolve the finish. I cleaned up a Bavarian M15 this summer and also used it to take rust off my M15 Oldenburg wappen. It is a judgement call though......some would choose to leave things as they are.

In case anyone is interested, Evapo Rust could be used to clean up the wappen on the right. This takes great care and a Q tip but it can be done without taking off the grey finish. You have to apply EvR leave on for a short time then wash off and keep repeating until rust has been removed. The main thing is not to leave the product on too long or it will dissolve the finish. I cleaned up a Bavarian M15 this summer and also used it to take rust off my M15 Oldenburg wappen. It is a judgement call though......some would choose to leave things as they are.
I suppose it just depends on the condition of the helmet the plate is going on

Back