Paul LAPP, soldier in the IR95

Jupiter66

Hello

I dedicated this lifes soldier LAPP, soldier in the IR 95 (Saxe Coburg Gotha)

It has not survived the war. He died in battle on May 28, 1916, during the assault on the eastern slope of the side intake "304" (Erstürmung des Osthanges der Höhe 304)

:army:

What a beautiful group! Many's the time I have walked in the area where he died, on Côte 304. The red encircled area is roughly the Osthang (Eastern slope), where it must have happened. The green arrow indicates the monument, always a good orientation point. Rest in peace, Paul Lapp.

304.png

You're welcome, Jupiter66! I like your post/grouping very much, especially because I know that area so well from many vacations around Verdun. I had one (for a collector) very sad experience there, somewhere in the late 1980's. The wooded area South of the monument had recently been cleared of all the trees, which gave us a good look at the bare and uprooted soil. A good look - but for me not good enough. I completely overlooked a French Adrian helmet in (considering its age and the circumstances) very good condition... but a bloke who walked along the same path a few minutes later watched the ground better than me, and found it. Proudly he showed his find to me. I swallowed painfully, and said with a fake smile: "How nice. Yes, that's the kind of things one finds here". And then I cried... :cry:

Back